Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do I get him to take a full feed

Default how do I get him to take a full feed

My son is 4 weeks old and on my breast constantly. I cant even put him down long enough to go to the bathroom. If I'm lucky I'll get a 10 min break. He'll start eating for a couple of minutes and then fall asleep nibbling. If I take him off the breast he will complain almost right away but if I put him back on the breast he will suck a few times and fall asleep again. If I let him sleep at the breast and then try to put him down he will wake up within minutes and start to root. I can't keep him awake to eat. There might be some nipple confusion. On his second day he didn't pee in 24h and I had to give him bottles. We are down to 1 bottle at the end of the day so he goes to sleep. I'm afraid he is not getting enough hindmilk. How do I get him to feed longer?

Default Re: how do I get him to take a full feed

You might try breast compressions.

Don't worry mama, this is pretty normal for 4 weeks. Your LO will get better at nursing in time. Do you wear a sling? He might sleep in there without needing the breast.

It sounds like he's snacking.....which can be pretty draining for you I bet. Is there any way to bring some kind of structure into the routine? Rather than putting a breast in his mouth each time, try to cuddle/sing/rock him. Then a little bit of time has gone by and he may feed for longer next time you put breast into his mouth. Just a thought. Anyway, hang in there - this won't last forever and he's going to be constantly changing. Good luck!

i have the same concern. DS is constantly nursing. and no one can pacify him except me and, of course, nursing. i am going to try to pump and give him a bottle once or twice a day just to see if he's not getting enough from snacking all the time, thus constantly nursing (just my theory)- although he has lots of wet and 3x dirty diaper. not getting enough meaning his snacking allows him to eat a little per feeding, thus gets hungry fast. is that possible?

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

If you need to wake him to continue a feeding, you can tickle his neck or the bottoms of his feet, lift his arm and gently jiggle it, gently tap his chin or under his chin, walk your fingers up and down his spine, sit him upright for a minute, or strip him down to the diaper for some skin-to-skin contact. Hopefully then he will be awake enough to continue eating.

Have you tried offering him a pinkie finger to suck on instead of the nipple? Since it's still mama and still skin, maybe he'll accept that as a pacifier....

Hang in there, mama! You're doing just fine.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I also used a wet cloth on DDs forhead to annoy her and keep her awake long enough to get a little more milk. If you are keeping on the same breast for a few short feedings, LO should be getting enough hindmilk. It sounds like he is just sleepy. Keep it up! You are doing great! I would do a diaper count everyday just to be confident (about 6-8 wet diapers per day)

I kept a wipe (ya know, like a diaper wipe) next to me, and when DS would doze off, I would wipe his forehead.

My 5 week old does the same with feeding, although he is starting to eat longer. In order to be sure he gets to the hindmilk, I just feed him two times in a row on the same side. He at least feeds for about 4-5 min each time, so he is getting the hindmilk. It's really nice that he's eating longer today.

Hang in there. It will eventually spread out.

My son did the nibbling/falling asleep think for 8 weeks. Now, it sounds like an awful long time, but it did get better for us. He started going longer between feeds and eventually settled into a routine. I did not have the heart to let him cry so he was attached to me for most of the day. In turn though, he slept for 3-4 hour stretches at night. How is your baby? Does he go longer at night?
    How many wet/dirty diapers does he have in 24 hour period?

Mommy to a busy toddler

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep in order to gain that which he cannot lose."
    Jim Elliot

Thanks everybody for your advice.
    I've tried breast compression and tickling, poking, moving him around. It doesn't help for long. I have to try the wet wipe/washcloth. I try to feed him on one side only for a few feedings and then switch sides.
    He does have plenty of wet and poopy diapers. After the bottle at night he sleeps for about 4 hours.
    He does take a nap in his swing now which gives me a break but it's hard around dinnertime when DH is at work and my 3 year old is hungry.
    I know it will get more spaced out but I'm freaked out about going back to work in 10 days (I work full time from home and both my kids are home with me.). I better get him used to being in the sling.