Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Aspirin? Who can help?

Default Baby Aspirin? Who can help?

Hello - I have not posted in a while!
    I am still nursing my son (Max) who will soon be 32 months old. He only nurses at night for a couple of minutes b/f bedtime. That is it. He sometimes may not nurse at all and has gone 4 days or so, so he is really in the process of an extended child led weaning.

My husband and I will be trying for another this fall. I was advised to take baby aspirin (81 mg of aspirin) while concieving Max b/c I miscarried my first in the 2nd trimester. I planned on starting the baby aspirin soon, but then it dawned on me that this may not be good for Max. I know regular aspirin should be avoided, but I thought maybe baby aspirin was ok. I really don't know who to ask - I am sure any ped would tell me to just wean to be safe and I am ready, but want it to be up to Max.
    I also read that aspirin is out of your system in 3 hours, so if I take the daily dose of baby aspirin in the morning, I would assume it would be out of my system by night.

Anyone help or know who I could ask? I would like to email the guy that writes that medicine book or at least a pro exteded bf nurse practitioner . . .

thanks!

Default Re: Baby Aspirin? Who can help?

I can't answer your question but I have a suggestion - I often call the lactation department at the hospital where I gave birth. I leave a message on their voice mail saying that my baby was born there and asking my question and this seems to qualify me for help because they always call me back within 24 hours. I have never been asked to pay for this service and they have always given me great advice or referred me to other sources of info. It seems you are only required to pay if you make an appointment. I don't know if your local hospital's lactation service is this helpful but it's worth a try!

Hi lisa1124,
    Congratulations on a wonderful nursing relationship so far! Thomas Hale is the researcher who publishes the book Medications and Mothers' Milk. His information, combined with input from your health care provider, can be very helpful in deciding what to do about medications. Do you have a local Leader you can call? She might be able to read the passage about aspirin right over the phone to you. If not, and you still need the information, I will try to get back to you later tonight. (I'm headed out the door right now!)
    Thanks for your patience,
    Mary

THanks Mary and Purplemonkey (great name!).

Yes, Mary, I know of the book. I was just about to email my local LL leader, but I checked and my library has it as a reference book. I am curious if Hale addresses baby aspirin in addition to regular aspirin. If not, I might have to call him to get his advice. I wonder if he would take my call . . .

thanks again. It might be a moot point. I keep thinking Max is weaned but then he will lift up my shirt and say "Mommy, I want another booby." I have no idea why he says "another" but I just think it is the cutest thing, which is why I just keep giving it to him.

I kinda have this issue, when I was preggo, they found out I had a clotting disorder and put me on a baby aspirin and 4 mg folic acid a day. I stopped taking the aspirin in my 6th month- against medical advice because I didn't want to harm my baby. I don't take it now either because I know it is safe for "occasional" use, and everyday is not occasional for me. So, I just choose not to take it because of the risk to my lo. Aspirin is dangerous for babies and I don't want her getting any of it from me. That is another reason, I plan on waiting to get preggo until after I wean, so I can start the aspirin again. I am really anal about what I take, so it might be okay, but I just don't want to take the risk. Also aspirin is a L3 lactation risk drug. Here is kellymom's link http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...eds.html#note1
    Last edited by @llli*preggoplus3; July 12th, 2007 at 03:15 PM.

Hi lisa1124,
    I'll PM you, OK?

Mary

As far as I know, aspirin of any kind should not be given to children or teens due to Rye Syndrome if they get sick. I would assume this would mean don't take it during nursing or pregnancy as well. The best people to ask would be your ob or a ped, but make it very clear to them that you're not going to wean until your lo is ready to do so completely on his own. If need be remind them of what the AAP has said about nursing past 1 year.
    Tanya
    Wife to Brandon since 10/14/2003
    Mommy to Erin, my know-it-all preteen, since 7/03/1996.
    Mommy to Katrina, my adventurous toddler, since 7/29/2005.
    Mommy to Connor, my "little man," since 4/22/2007.

Life can be hectic, but I wouldn't change it for the world.