Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caffeine

Default Caffeine

When I was pregnant I more or less compeltely cut caffeine out of my diet, cold turkey. It was rough, and from time to time I'd cheat and have a caffeinated can of pop, but that was it.

Now that I'm breastfeeding I still want to have caffeine now and then, but I looked at how long it takes little ones to process and about died! But I also read not much gets into the milk...

So I have questions, and hopefully someone can steer me in the direction of answers:

1) Is caffeine like alcohol in that once your body processes it, it's not in your milk anymore? Or is it that once it gets in the milk it's stuck, even if your body processes the rest that didn't get into the milk?

2) If I wanted to have a can of pop (about 40 mg of caffeine I think on avg) when should I have it? Should I do it right after pumping (I exclusive pump) or should I do it before?

Default Re: Caffeine

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I would say that it's probably best to drink any caffeine drink after nursing or pumping. Per doctors orders, I will (about twice a month) have a soda or a little tea, as it's the only thing that will knock out a headache for me. I haven't notice any real change in my lo when I do this.

HTH
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Have you seen this info on kellymom about caffeine?
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

It takes a baby longer to process than an adult. I would go for it after you have pumped when it will be a longer time before you pump again. But caffeien builds up in your system and LOs so if you have a soda everyday, eventually LO would have high levels too. Its best to avoid it if you can.

My son was really sensitive to caffeine, and I switched to caffeine-free while I was nursing (I gotta have my Coke in the morning!). It was OK--better than listening to my son scream!

If it helps, the standard where I donate are maximum of 24 ounces per day of caffeinated beverages. That's 2 good-sized drinks! And this is milk that might be going to very sick, premature infants. So I'd say, if it's important for your sanity, go ahead and have your cup of coffee in the morning. If you notice your infant is being affected, then cut back again.

It's not even a sanity thing, really.

When I switched out of caffeine when I was pregnant, I went to caffeine free coke. But my work doesn't offer it in the machines (I've begged and begged).

That and caffeinated coke has a slightly different taste and sometimes I just crave it. I know, weird sounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
    That and caffeinated coke has a slightly different taste and sometimes I just crave it. I know, weird sounding.
    No, it totally does have a different taste. I am off dairy for DD so when I make decaf coffee I add rice milk. I call it my 'bogus' coffee. It does not hit the spot.

*shrug*
    Through pregnancy(well, after the first trimester) and while breastfeeding, I've drunk two cups of coffee per day. And i usually drink them while nursing(literally).
    I keep myself well under the max recommended limit of caffeine. And I plan to nurse for several years, so..... I don't see any reason to make it anymore of a hardship on myself than it already is for other reasons.
    If my son seemed sensitive to it, I'd rethink it. But, no problems, so, I drink it and enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by melsod View Post
    If it helps, the standard where I donate are maximum of 24 ounces per day of caffeinated beverages. That's 2 good-sized drinks! And this is milk that might be going to very sick, premature infants. So I'd say, if it's important for your sanity, go ahead and have your cup of coffee in the morning. If you notice your infant is being affected, then cut back again.
    Same here! For the first 6 months I did not have any but now...To be honest, I need it.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I posted this on someones thread the other day...

Hope your babie does better than mine...I have not had any caffine since I found out I was pregnant. I drink water 98% of the time...if not water juice or decaf coffie in the a.m....to get to the point my friends and I went to Denny's one evening after knitting and we all ordered coffee...friends=caff and me=decaf...well I think the waitor gave me a cup of caffinated becuase I started to shake and my heart was racing a little later...Before it dawned on me what had happened I fed my baby right there in the resturant while drinking my decaf that I watched him refill...Needless to say Chance was up all night screaming...He has always been a good baby and sleeps all night except to eat...Easter was the next day and he was sick all day...He even vomited a really nasty smelling vomit...Not sure if this was coincidence or not, but I am very careful to make sure that no one gives me caffine anymore..I feel bad for some of my waitors and waitresses because I constantly question everytime they fill me up...I do let them know ahead of time why I ask the questions and of course my husband always looks down in imbarrasment...BUT come on I am just making sure my baby and I are ok...my husband says that I give them too much info, but I don't want them to think I am a B**** and get my food spit in...they all take the info differently...some are funny and some are like yeah whatever crazy lady...and I think some run around telling all the crew because I catch them watching me to see if I am going to feed him right there...it is funny...

GOOD LUCK!
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!