Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this sound like thrush?

Default Does this sound like thrush?

My nipples just feel irritated. They feel kind of chapped or raw, especially when they rub up against anything, my bra, breast pad, shirt, etc. At times the other skin on my breasts, not my nipple though, feels itchy. Like I suspect it would feel if I was allergic to my detergent or something, only we haven't changed detergents at all. I have no other symptoms and I don't think Patrick does either. But I have been taking an antibiotic for mastitis. So I am extra paranoid of getting thrush. Although, now that I think about it, I had these feelings before I found out I had mastitis, so I might have already had thrush then, if that's what this is. Does it sound like thrush?

Default Re: Does this sound like thrush?

That sounds like all the exact symptoms that I have, and I am currently being treated for Thrush! Also I heard the baby can have it and not have the white patches (though mine has the patches). Someone with more info will hopefully respond for you!

Yes, sounds like thrush.

Here is some thrush info and treatments.

(DJennX - my DH was at Fort Bragg - long. long, time ago!)

Thank you! I was afraid it was thrush. Should I contact my OB or my son's pediatrician to get treatment? Or should I try some of those other remedies first?

It's up to you... you should treat yourself and LO at the same time so you don't pass it back and forth (even if LO shows no symptoms). The approach that worked best for us was Gentian Violet for LO and me and probiotics for us both. For some people one course or Nystatin or Diflucan (prescriptions) knocks it out. Our thrush got better on the scripts but did not go away until we used the GV.

HTH