Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked nipple

Default Cracked nipple

I am trying to pump to build a supply for when I go back to work in 2.5 weeks. LO only nurses from one side at a time which I thought would work great and I could just pump the other side every time he nurses, [I]but[I] my right nipple is still cracked from our poor latching problems and nursing is painful, let along pumping and re-opening the wound every time. If I nurse the left one feeding, then nurse the right AND pump the left at the next until it heals will my supply be affected?

Smile Re: Cracked nipple

if i were u i would still pump it seems like youll have to work harder to build your supply back up. when my nipple was cracked i used ice first then after pumpin i wore a shell until nite time i slept with them exposed

Default Re: Cracked nipple

Ah, ice would probably help. It is so hard to watch the little scab get pulled off though! Will it ever heal if it keeps getting aggravated by pumping/nursing? I noticed early this morning the crack looks bigger than it was and I had been so excited cause I thought it was actually healing. I wanted to cry - I felt like I was back to square one!

Have you tried lanolin cream, also if the crack is closer to the areola this might help, when I would have a crack like this I would put a very small bandaid over it while pumping, help protect it, and helped keep blood from getting into the bottle.

Use the Lanolin, its great, also after I pumped I would put a little neosporin on the cut, then use the lansinoh baby wipes to clean it off before pumping or nursing. (Can you tell I LOVE LANSINOH products)!

Smile Re: Cracked nipple

Quote Originally Posted by Kimba217 View Post
    Ah, ice would probably help. It is so hard to watch the little scab get pulled off though! Will it ever heal if it keeps getting aggravated by pumping/nursing? I noticed early this morning the crack looks bigger than it was and I had been so excited cause I thought it was actually healing. I wanted to cry - I felt like I was back to square one!
    how is it doing? i also showered with a bikeni top and turned the shells upsidee down so the holes were on the bottom. it seemed like they were worse after the water hit them. lactation told me to use lanoline but it kept my nips to moist, i did (and still do ) put a dab on my finger and lub my pump sheilds with them! also when the cracks were bad i would hold the air tub in my pump sheild and take about 3 min to let my poor nip get used to the pain before stiking it all the way in!

I used the Lansinoh at first but felt like it was just keeping the wound from healing by keeping it moist. I was going to try it again if just letting it be didn't help - but finally finally today it looks like it is on its way to healing for good! I did pump that side the other day and boy did I see stars so I did give up but if all continues to go well I am going to try again in a day or two. I didn't think it would ever heal and sometimes I would plead with LO to "just let go, PLEASE!" This hopefully will be the last of the nipple pain that no one warned me about!