Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confused about baby thrush and don't trust these doctors help!

Default Re: Confused about baby thrush and don't trust these doctors help!

I've never put Monistat on my nipples, but I've put Lotrimin. (as well as Grapefruit Seed Extract, Gentian Violet, Diaper Rash Relief Ointment)

I also take probiotics as well as feed my LO some by dipping a wet finger and feeding it to him. You can also break open a capsule and depending on your baby's weight put some in his breastmilk. I believe at 3.5 months my pediatrician said one capsule a day spread over maybe 2 feedings.

Find a quality probiotic/acidopholis (usually located in the refrigerator section of a health store)

Thank you. I'll go ahead and do that. I The acidophulis that I bought wasn't refrigerated...it's not supposed to be right? ONe last question...how often and with what do you wash your baby's plastic toys?

The acidopholis that's refrigerated is typically of better quality but there's so many strains of bacteria that it shouldn't hurt!

I just posted a question regarding washing toys as well. I believe it's under Concerns - Mothern (under the special situation forum). I believe with plastic toys it's easy b/c you can wash it with hot water and vinegar rinse - what I don't know if it needs to be boiling water.

Good luck!

I am taking acidipholis and using clomitrazole cream that I got from the Dr. but you can buy it in the store. i was told using monistat worked too. Before I feed my DD I just wet some paper towels and wipe it off.

I have been battling thrush for about a month, maybe a little longer and it is terrible.

I use the creams and take the pills and I get better but if I'm bad about doing stuff for even a day the next day I am in pain and uncomfortable. The key is to keep using everything for at least a couple weeks after you feel better I think.

I am calling our GP today to see if I can get a script for diflucan.

If you ever decide to try some of the alternative remedies, feel free to PM me.

Whatever you do, eliminate any sugars from your diet until things clear up. Diflucan for most people should do the trick if topical treatments aren't working. For others (like me) there are lots of other strains of bacteria that won't kill off unless I do a complete candida cleanse.

I notice if I cheat on my candida diet, I feel the difference the next day. Yeast THRIVES on sugar, and basically any sugar you eat (especially white breads, cereal, etc) , including fruit just negates all the stuff that you're trying to do to kill off the little buggers.

Thanks for all the help. I am extremely stressed out about this...amongst other things. I don't know if I made it clear that right now I don't have any visible symptoms of thrush, just my DS. I am just trying to take precautions, so we don't pass it back and forth to each other. I really hate it when my baby doesn't feel good. I am so worried that this won't go away...and that I'll just get it too. Also, I can't go back to work, because I take him with me and it's contagious. I just work part time at the YMCA, but the extra money was really helping me right now. I wish I wasn't so stressed about this...I worry about doing everything right all the time....particularly with my little one. I just want him to be better...and I know this is only the beginning.

I haven't used Monistat for my nipples but I have used Lotrimin AF (it's actually for Athlete's foot which is kinda weird, but it has worked for me and my pediatrician recommended it so I think it's safe.)
    I'm going through the thrush thing right now with my 15 month old! (Whatever remedy you do use, you need to be consistent and continue with it for at least 10 days even if it seems to be better after a few days.)

Don't worry; we've all been there before. I know things can seem so overwhelming with your first. I remember battling a horrible diaper rash with my first born and I would burst into tears everytime I changed her diaper and saw her red tushy. Now, I look back and can say, "it was just diaper rash." Thrush is just a yeast infection. I promise you, your LO will NOT have thrush when he goes to school! And that time will be here before you know it. So just do your best.. give him lots of love, cuddles, kisses and hugs, and know that you are a wonderful mom for caring so much!
    Last edited by mbelee10; July 14th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Mary - mom to Gabriela (3.20.99), Steven (5.17.01) and Sofia (3.20.06)