Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about baby thrush and don't trust these doctors help!

Default Confused about baby thrush and don't trust these doctors help!

I am so confused and the doctor that my 3.5 month old goes to is not a pediatrician (I am trying to find him one), but a general practitioner instead. The y have a night time clinic, and so I took my DS there because I was trying to make sure he didn't have an ear infection....because it seems like he's teething. No ear infection, but the Nurse Practitioner who was there said that he had thrush. I don't seem to have anything wrong with my nipples. So how can he have it and not me? She gave me some medicine for him, but I am worried, because it's obvious he doesn't feel good. What else can I do to make sure we don't just pass it back and forth to eachother? Can someone please explain thrush to me a little better....i cant find any good links.

Just when I thought I was worried enough...10 minutes ago I went to change him and he has like 4 little red spots spread about his tummy. What?! what do I do I am so confused?! and a first time mom to top it off.

Default Re: Confused about baby thrush and don't trust these doctors help!

hold on.
    ok, here you go, more than you ever wanted to know about thrush.

Thank you. Has Nystatin actually worked for anyone for treating thrush?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    Thank you. Has Nystatin actually worked for anyone for treating thrush?
    It did for us. But.
    My son was on the liquid for two weeks. And I was using the cream for two weeks. AND I took Diflucan for two weeks.

The oral alone didn't work with ds, but the combo with me taking difulcan did. Ds had a sort of "chronic" case and our ped never seemed to know why??

My Dd has never had it. . .but has had several yeast diaper rashes following rounds of antibiotics.

FYI the yeast can make them fussy digestively as well, which could explain why your lo isn't feeling well. . .no idea on the spots on the torso though, I'd call or take him back!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Nystatin did not work for my son although Diflucan did. Many people would suggest getting Nystatin withOUT any sugar (flavoring) in it b/c yeast thrives on sugar.

Check out the kellymom site - there are other alternatives that work well such as Gentian Violet, Grapefruit Seed Extract, etc. The sooner you can beat it, hopefully you won't get it!

Is your son's tongue white? Is that why the doctor suggested it was thrush? Try using a washcloth and wiping it off to see if it's just milk. I'd be curious to hear what the reason is for suspecting your LO has thrush.

I've had it for just about 4 months and am in the process of treating it with all the remedies... I hope you NEVER experience the pain I have!

When I asked the doc. she said that it was because of his mouth. She didn't specify whether or not it was his tongue or gums, but I can see now that it does look a little pearly in there. He is asleep now, but I am going to try and wash it off when he wakes up. She tried to scrape it off with the wooden stick thingy and it didn't come off. Has anyone used monistat 7 for there nipples or babies diaper rash. I bought some today. DS does have a diaper rash that doesn't really go away with normal ointment, but it is not a bad rash at all. Sometimes the redness goes away and comes right back. Crazy thing is....I looked at his chest an hour after I noticed the red marks and they were gone! Could it have been from the heat? We had just gotten home and it is really hot out here. You know...I know some of these questions sound like doctor questions, but I have gotten more helpful advice off of these forums. Thanks mamas!

I have not has a problem with thrush nor has my lo BUT when I thought I did I went to kellymom.com and it gave me SO much info! turns out I didn't have thrush but ur baby can have it and u not vice a versa. also you can have it with no syptoms at first... sometimes it just takes time to come out! but you and ur lo should be treated together... as a mom who also worries frantic over every thing when you see something like red marks wait about an hour (unless it would be form an allergic reaction) and see if it gets any better or else you'll go crazy... I almost did! ALSO as far as the doctors I would take what they say and then reserch it all before I question them they maybe wrong but if you reserch it then you'll be able to say why you think there wrong and what it may be! I've had my run in with doctors so I can say been there done that and I know how horrible it can feel! stay strong it will all work out!

The red marks could be from heat rash - that's what happens with my little one.

Lotrimin worked on my baby's diaper rash from yeast, but Grapefruit Seed Extract worked the best! Also, if the wound is open, use Calamoseptine instead of Desitin. I usually get it at CVS behind the pharmacy (no prescription needed - for some reason it's there though).

Hope this helps!

Has anyone use Monistat 7 for their nipples or baby's bottom? I read I can use it, but I need proof it's safe. Also has anyone taken Acidophilus, or given it to baby on your finger, like I read at Kellymom?