Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple shield and bottle usage - please help

Default nipple shield and bottle usage - please help

Hello,

My son is two weeks old and initially i had very low milk supply so we had to give him formula using bottle and he got hooked on to it and pushes my breast away. Lactation consultant offered nipple shield and for the past two days he is feeding using nipple shield. He is very fussy and cranky initially so I give him my milk in bottle to calm him down and then take him to breast with nipple shield. Is this a bad method?? Also in the nights I pump and feed him using bottle, please tell me if I am doing anything wrong. I am praying and hoping that one day he come out of nipple shield and start feeding directly.

Thanks,

Default Re: nipple shield and bottle usage - please help

Starting with the supplement and finishing at the breast isn't a bad method. You can wean down off the supplements until you're only nursing. Until you're only nursing, you could pump or hand express after feedings just to be sure that your breasts are drained really well!

Is there a reason that you're pumping at night? My best suggestion is just to nurse directly! It's so much better for your baby and your milk production (prolactin levels peak at night!). If you could nurse lying down, it would make things way more comfortable and easier.

Welcome to the forums, and congrats on your new baby!

Thanks for the reply. The only reason I am pumping at night, it is so much easier to bottle feed him at night, as he cries a lot if I don't give him the milk right away. Should I try giving him bottle first, calm him down and then offer the breast?? I don't know if he is getting enough. I nurse him for around one hour each time on both breast and sometimes he does not feel full, so I have to give some more formula to satisfy him. Either that or he is hungry with in one hour. Is this normal with newborn. I am producing 2 oz every two hours is this normal milk supply??

Thanks for all your help,

Babies are more efficient than pumps, so you may be producing more than 2 ounces, but you may be only able to pump 2 ounces. If you are pumping this amount, that is really good at this point in time. I know it is hard at nightime, but try to get to your lo before he is really hungry. He is probably getting frustrated at the breast at night because he is really hungry. If you get to him before this sets in, then he will likely be more willing to nurse. During the first several weeks it will feel like you are nursing constantly, and this is normal. Is he nuring for the entire hour or does he take catnaps in between nursing? It is not abnormal for some babies to want to nurse every hour or so in the beginning. But, it does get better! The first six weeks are the hardest. The caution on giving formula is that you might hurt your supply. Your body thinks that what it is producing is enough, when it actually isn't because the baby is eating formula too. If you are worried that your baby is not getting enough, take him to the ped or to an LLL meeting and see about having him weighed. Also count the diapers!

I am just writing to offer you my support and encouragement. My daughter is 8 months old and we are still breastfeeding. It sounds like you are having a similar experience to what I had in the beginning. I pumped, supplemented, and used a nipple shield in the beginning and while it was very hard and we made slow progress, she is now nursing directly from the breast. (I still pump so that my husband can feed her one bottle a day, but that is for our convience, not because she really needs it.) So, keep it up! You can have the breastfeeder you want and it really will get more convient for you. P.S. I don't have trouble with my supply anymore either.

You may be plensently surprised to find that it is actually easier to directly bf at night, it is when the babes are in there most primitive state, I know that is the only time my little girl has no issues at the breast(pulling crying briefly latching on) Good luck. I have found a lot of support here its made it easier knowing im not the only one going through this

Thank you all for the encouraging replies. My son is get so fussy and agitated if he does not get milk right away. I have to trick him by giving him bottle first and while he is sucking the bottle i have to pull the bottle away and immediately give him the nipple shield. He drinks from it for a hour or so and then once i put him down starts crying. Currently he is suffering from diarrhea and sore bottom and is crying a lot. So I don't want to force him to go to my breast and find it easier if I pump and give him the bottle. I am currently crying when I am typing this as he is crying a lot from sore bottom and diarrhea. Doctor's says it is perfectly normal for breastfed babies but I can't see him take the pain. I am still pumping through the night and hopefully things will get better.