Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: won't take nap, any advice please?

Default Re: won't take nap, any advice please?

Trying to put a baby on a schedule can be really hard, mine kind of did it on his own. I can tell you that he is 5.5 months and still does not nap in his crib. When he was a newbie I would nurse him to sleep and he would either stay in my arms, the sling, or the couch in the boppy. Now he naps on my bed (blocked in of course) because we bf there and he drifts away. He used to be able to nap in his pack/play but he wakes himself us in that as he turns over now sometimes in his sleep. It was not until about a month ago, that he slept in his crib at all and now it is just for part of the night. After he wakes up to feed for the first time, he stays in our bed.

As pp mentioned noise can help. It is dry where we live, so I use a humidifier in his room at night and I think the sound it produces helps him sleep better.

Your baby may set her own schedule soon, in the meantime, go with what works, let her sleep where she will. And if all else fails...nap with her!

I am not one to speak at the moment, as we are currently having our own nap issues. However, remember that your LO is still very young. The books I've read and the other mamas I've talked to all seem to agree that most babies don't settle into regular daytime nap cycles until 3-4 months (some longer!), so it's going to be hard for them to nap consistently until they're a little more mature. You might want to read The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. She offers some great tips for gently helping your LO sleep and stay asleep.

I also agree with pp about watching for drowsy signs and not letting a tiny baby stay awake more than an hour or two. Haley very rarely acts tired within that time frame, but if I put her in her swing, she will go right to sleep. (At least, she did before we started having issues. Ahem.) Anyway, you'll find this advice in a lot of sleep books as well.

Good luck, and hang in there.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Try reading the Baby Whisperer which has some good tips on this particular issue. I don't agree with all in the book but did find it helpful to establish a routine. Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Baby-W...4187221&sr=1-1

Quote Originally Posted by babyjane View Post
    Try reading the Baby Whisperer which has some good tips on this particular issue. I don't agree with all in the book but did find it helpful to establish a routine. Here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Baby-W...4187221&sr=1-1
    have you tried the baby whisperer EASY routine technique? and if so, how old was your baby?
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

i read that book early on. i didnt live by it, but it was a good thing to keep in mind. it worked well for us.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

My son would do the same thing but come to find out, it was gas- being laid down flat on his back hurt his belly.

You're not alone. We are struggling wiht a similar situation- Trying to get our little guy to nap with out someone holding him. Our pediatrician recommend a book by Marc Weissbluth- Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It has some good info and a few different approaches to napping and sleeping throught the night (hah! maybe when he's 18 . We are trying one of the methods now for nap. It's tough, but we have to get him use to napping on his own as I"m going back to work in a few weeks. Anyway, good luck!

We've used a combination of Babywise, Good Night Sleep Tight, and The Lady Whisperer - I've read just about every sleep book out there, and at the end of the day, choose what's most comfortable for you. You can always goto Amazon and get used copies or the library may have these books.

My LO napped in his crib and slept in his bassinet until his 3rd month and we started putting him in his crib starting month 3 b/c that's when the peds said babies become aware of their surroundings and once they get comfortable there, it's easier for them to self soothe. He sleeps 2 2-hr naps in his crib and the 3rd 1 hour nap (late afternoon) in his pack n play. (same time just about every day)

The schedule and routine helps b/c once I read the signs and know when he gets tired, I stand in front of his crib and my LO practically leaps from my arms into his crib! ,As Haley's Mom suggested month 3 and 4 definitely got easier! Once we got the schedule down (around 3.5 months), it was easier for me to go places and plan my own schedule.

The schedule route isn't for everyone, but for me it works great b/c that's more my personality - and plus I like knowing when to plan things.

hi there
    we had the same prob; our lo would be up up up for sometimes 10 hrs during the day and so wired and overtired by evening that it would feel like colic trying to wind him down (like three hours of soothing and him screaming). we used the baby whisperer just to get some control of the situation. we started when lo was about 8 weeks and stuck to it pretty rigidly (shh pat shh pat etc) for about two weeks. then we got to know him better and better and let some of the more structured stuff go so we could return to a more 'on demand' feel. what seemed to be the most important was making sure we tried to put him down every eating cycle. we of course picked him up if he cried but if he was only fussing we would lay our hand on his chest and shhh him. it helped to swaddle his lower half and then we held his arms during the 'jolt' (do you have the book??).
    i am not really one for 'plans' and structuring babies or having routines, especially not at this age, but i have to say that being somewhat structured about naps saved our lives because we were at wits end. he is now 14 weeks and sleeps through the nite. he is used to his crib but also naps with us in bed or nursing, whatever. i would recommend that you try it to see what fits and let the rest go. but i promise it gets better!!
    good luck

just got the baby wise book today and I've almost finished to read the Baby whisperer. Miraculously the swing has been working for 2 days now. Next step is to have her nap in her bed and exchange the activity-feed-sleep pattern to feed-activity-sleep. She is seems so more happy and relaxed with those naps at the end of the day.
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)