Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: won't take nap, any advice please?

Post won't take nap, any advice please?

HI! my DD is now 7 weeks old and won't take any nap during the day. She sleep at my breast but as soon as I try to put her in the crib she wakes up and cries. I can't be her human pacifier anymore because my nipples gets sore. The sling helps a bit, maybe for 15-20 minutes but not more than that. I'm seriously thinking about the baby whispere method and I'd like to get your opinions and experience feedbacks about that. How long did it took you to put the baby on schedule? When you see the signs that the baby needs to go sleep, then you put her in the crib and she wakes up, and gets angry, how do you manage to put her back in the "sleeping mode" ?

I'm kinda desperate, so all the experiences shared will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by guenimo; July 11th, 2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: error
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

Default Re: won't take nap, any advice please?

do you have a swing? i didnt want one until ds was about your lo's age, and then i wasnt sure how i'd managed w//out it! ds slept well in it for a couple months. and i was able to have small breaks in the day. ds never slept for very long, he's a short napper.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

I have a swing but strangely, it's seems to keep her awake instead of helping her to sleep. She plays a lot in the swing and looks everywhere.

i know alot of mommies (myself included) that just had to hold their lo while they napped for awhile. it's better than having a tired baby. but i dont have any great ideas for you, sorry
    i did nurse ds while laying down w/ him on the bed for awhile, then i was able to sneak away once he had fallen asleep. that worked until he was able to roll and could roll off the bed.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Sometimes with my LO I have to lay with him and rub his head until he is in deep sleep. If he wakes up, I rub again. He would prefer to sleep on my chest, and he does wake frequently from daytime naps. Thank goodness that most nights he sleeps fine!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Nursing in the lying down position helped with my son in the early months. I would nurse him on our bed and when he fell asleep I gently removed him from the breast and left him there (I put some chairs on each side of the bed in case he would roll over or something.) He would still take 45 min naps but it was better than nothing.

My LO didn't take long naps until I got her onto a schedule. But that wasn't until she was about 3 1/2 months old. She's now almost 5 months. She would only take catnaps 20-30 minutes after feeding then once I would put her down, she would wake up.

I am a big believer in using a pacifier...mainly because I'm a NICU nurse and I work with babies who are away from their moms for prolonged periods of time, so pacifiers are the only way to calm them down when we can't hold them. My LO has kind of grown out of her pacifier when she's awake, but she still seems to enjoy it during her naps and at night, until it falls out of her mouth.

As to getting her on a schedule, once I would see her rub her eyes or scratch the back of her head (tell tale signs that she's getting tired), or if she had that glassy-eyed look about her, I would change her if needed then lie in bed with her until she fell asleep. Then I would put pillows around her to make a little nest since she couldn't roll onto her side yet. She fought for the first few days, but I think she kind of got the picture. I would let her cry a little bit, still lying in bed with her, but offered her the pacifier and she would eventually drift off to sleep. She was crying because she was so tired and just couldn't get into sleep mode. I did try nursing her in bed and that helped as well because I wouldn't have to move her around. Now that she's a little bit older, I am reading her cues a little bit better and she goes down for a nap about an hour to and hour and a half after she eats and plays. I put her into her crib or bassinet or playard with her pacifier in mouth and she plays for a little bit with her toys then drifts off.

Now I know that she needs at least an hour nap in the morning around 9:30 or 10, and a longer nap in the early afternoon around 1:30 or 2. Without her naps, she is a very crabby little girl! It took me about a week to really get her on "schedule" but I had to because I went back to work last week and needed to make things more routine for her when she's at my mom's for the day.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

The swing worked beautifully for us - but it had to be set on the highest speed (6 for us) otherwise, it kept her up. Kind of weird, huh?

Angela (AP), mommy to Charlotte Rose (12/22/06) and Ruby (7/30/09) http://lettiebuzz.blogspot.com/

thanks for sharing your stories girl. it really helps me!

Two words that saved us: noise machine. You might try some kind of background noise if you haven't already--we got one of those fancy-schmancy ones and found that the "Pink Noise" setting helps my little guy...we've been using it since we brought him home!

The best advice that I read was that my little guy should go take a nap after 1-2 hours of wakefulness--it was SO true, especially through the 4th month. When my little guy was 7 weeks, if we waited longer than 2 hours, it was MUCH harder to get him to sleep, even if he wasn't showing signs of being tired. The key was putting him down BEFORE he started "telling" us he was tired--if we waited, it was too late! Now (at about 4.5 months), he seems able to go a little longer, but his nap schedule is changing...

We found the swing works for us right now, too. We found the swing works great just to calm him down and set the stage for sleep...as soon as he's out, we turn it off and he naps pretty comfortably there without the motion.
    Last edited by MilMom; July 11th, 2007 at 11:33 AM.