Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Flailing around while on the breast - help!

Default Flailing around while on the breast - help!

For the past week, my nine-week old has started flailing around violently around 5-10 minutes into her feed. She jerks her head with the nipple in her mouth and rubs her eyes/pulls her ears/punches her jaw/grabs her head. We took her to the doctor to see if it was an ear infection ... but she was given the all-clear.

She used to flail around before but without the hand action, until we swaddled her for feeds. Then it stopped and we stopped swaddling her too because it is too hot here in Beijing in the summer and because it makes her sleep too quickly while nursing.

I have read the "kellymom" info on milk flow and I don't think my flow is particularly slow. If anything, let-down is on the fast-side. But if she were objecting to it being too fast, she would be flailing at the beginning of the feed rather than some time into it. She is usually fine during the first few minutes.

Can anybody help? I feel like my nipples are being torn off.

Default Re: Flailing around while on the breast - help!

DS is a flailer too. Can you feel your letdown? (just want to be sure she's not responding to that - for some women it takes a few minutes before it happens). Otherwise I would suggest nursing lying down. You can lay on one of their arms and hold the other one. When I nurse DS in bed his legs are going a mile a minute He also has a hand that tends to attack his face (everyone thinks he has pinkeye because his eye gets red from him jabbing his fingers into it!). If you nurse in the cradle position you can pin their bottom arm under yours. HTH!

I have a flailer, too! I've found that sometimes she may need to burp at that point (usually around 5-10 minutes into the feeding). And sometimes I swear she's trying to tell me that she's done and that she just wants to comfort suck (time for her binky!!). HTH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I have a flailer, too! I've found that sometimes she may need to burp at that point (usually around 5-10 minutes into the feeding). And sometimes I swear she's trying to tell me that she's done and that she just wants to comfort suck (time for her binky!!). HTH!!
    I have a flailer as well and when that happens he needs to burp. It can also be due to an overabundant milk supply. Also if yoru let-down occurs while the baby is feeding she might pull away b/c it might be too forceful

Wink Re: Flailing around while on the breast - help!

My DS is also a flailer. I found that holding his hands helps. The football hold works well for me. I can tuck one arm under him and the other under my arm. I always tuck his bottom arm under him. I seems to help. If his head starts going and starts to "rip my nipple off", I stop nursing and give him a pacifier for a little while until he calms down. Then I can usually nurse him again. I end up changing positions at least twice on each breast while he feeds. It also seems to help. Many times I feel like a punching bag during his feedings. Good luck.

Kiddopotamus Swaddleme blankets work wonders on mine. I also use them to put her to sleep at night and she'll sleep through the night comfortably in them.

I feel your pain. my ds does this to me as well and it does feel like he is going to rip the nipple right off! i stop like the other pp say so he won't do some real harm b/c it sure feels like he might. even though it's into the feeding it still seems like it is a response to a fast let down for me.

I figured out that it was because my lo was overtired. It was always happening in the evening and what he was really saying was 'I don't want it mummy I need to sleep'.
    Just think about whan it happens and if it has any connection with sleep.