Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wanna Get It Right!

Default Wanna Get It Right!

Question 1: I am the proud first timer of a seven week old baby girl...Exclusively BF. Weight gain: 7llb/3oz to 10lbs at last visit over a week ago. At least 10-12 clear pees a day and 5 yellow (dark Yellow) poops. BF every 3 hours. Just curious about let-down reflex... My milk lets down several times in between feedings and feels very tingley. LO sleeps abput 5 hours at night and I soak through shirts at night. Should I be pumping in between feedings?? If not, will it affect production???

Question 2: Also, LO sometimes seems increasingly hungry and seems unsatisfied after nursing (fussy, sucking hands). She nurses 15 minutes on the first side and less on the second. I will start on the second breast at next feeding and alternate... Am I doing this right? She has PLENTY of wet diapers and is gaining well, but sometimes she just seems hungry. Is 3 hours too long to wait?
    Last edited by bellasmama; July 10th, 2007 at 10:45 PM.

Default Re: Wanna Get It Right!

Are you feeding on demand or on a three hour schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    Are you feeding on demand or on a three hour schedule?
    I am feeding on demand which is usually every 2.5 to 3 hrs.

demand is a great way to handle feedings with a baby that young.
    as she gets older she might strech out between feeds.
    That age is a prime time for a growth spurt and all babies have days when they just seam to nurse all the time.
    IT sounds like she is growing well and thats what you want.
    If she is sleeping well at night I would let her sleep, expect that to change over time.

Quote Originally Posted by bellasmama View Post
    Should I be pumping in between feedings?? If not, will it affect production???
    I wouldnt pump. Eventually your breast will learn not to produce as much at that time and you will not be so full during the time she is sleeping. If you pump, then you are telling your body to keep producing at that time. If she is sleeping, I would not pump unless you want to build a freezer stash or something. You will not lose your supply. Your body will work on a supply and demand- just like you are feeding on demand, your body will learn to produce that way. Keep it up things will get better!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Quote Originally Posted by hlstevens View Post
    I wouldnt pump. Eventually your breast will learn not to produce as much at that time and you will not be so full during the time she is sleeping. If you pump, then you are telling your body to keep producing at that time. If she is sleeping, I would not pump unless you want to build a freezer stash or something. You will not lose your supply. Your body will work on a supply and demand- just like you are feeding on demand, your body will learn to produce that way. Keep it up things will get better!

I totally agree. Your body is still new to this whole breastfeeding thing. Once youe body adjusts better to the demands of your baby, supply will even out.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!