Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Heading back to work

Default Heading back to work

I see several posts regarding this same topic, but thought I'd add my woes. DD has been exclusively breastfed since birth. I'll be going back to work on Monday, the 16th and have been stressing because she absolutely refuses a bottle. I've been pumping for about 2 weeks now to build up a stash for when I go back, and in the last week or so we've tried intriducing the bottle. My poor hubby has tried just about everything and she just refuses. I know everyone says to just give it time, or she'll eat when she's hungry, but it's really hard not to stress out about it in the meantime.

Default Re: Heading back to work

I had a really tough time with Mason and he never did take the bottle (despite trying just about every different type of nipple and bottle ), is it possible to try finger feeding or use a spoon or cup?

The first couple times my husband introduced dd's first bottle she wanted nothing to do with it. A couple weeks later I had my MIL try to give her a bottle and it worked- she drank the whole thing and never had any more problems with it. She was slow and gently put the nipple on her lower gums and said she took to it. Good luck. Wish I had more suggestions but I don't have a lot of experience with this.

Are you around when he does this? Some babies will not accept a bottle if mom is around, even if she's somewhere in the house. Babies can smell their mothers from a long distance. Maybe you could leave the house for a bit and he could try it then.

We have tried me being in the room and out of the room. She gets soo mad and frustrated, that I am afraid to leave the house though, because I just want to "run to the rescue." And maybe that's my problem - she knows that if she cries, mom runs in to save the day. I know dh can take care of her, he was the SAHD with DD#2, so that's not it. Luckily, dh is very patient, so I know he can handle it.