Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DCP has been microwaving BM

Default DCP has been microwaving BM

*sigh* I thought I told her not to microwave breastmilk, and I thought she said that she puts it in a bowl of warm water. But when I went to pick Emily up today, her husband was there taking care of the kids (she was at a dr. appointment), and she had left instructions for him to microwave the bottle for 40 seconds. Her husband had no idea, and I told him that you should never microwave BM. I know it's not so bad that she's going to be irreparably harmed from the couple of weeks she's been doing it, but I am definitely going to make sure that doesn't happen again.

I just feel so frustrated that she didn't pay attention and doesn't know about this. She has had breastfed infants before--did she microwave all of their milk this whole time? No wonder she gave me back the bottle warmer that I offered her. I guess I'll offer it up again!

unfortunately Emily will only take warmed milk, no room temp for her!

Default Re: DCP has been microwaving BM

ugh I'm sorry hun, I hope she starts listening to your requests, that is frustrating!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Could it be that she told her husband to do it that way just this once to make it easier on him? I know that my sitter warms the milk in hot water, but when my DH has to give DD a bottle, I tell him to just microwave it. It's not that often and he gets overwhelmed by everything he has to do as it is when he has the baby.

Just a thought. Might help to approach her as though something like that is the case than being too accusatory til you know her side of the story...

that's a very good point too, didn't really think of that
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

yeah, could be--but i want to talk to her about it to be sure...

I am sorry to hear that! It is frustrating...I would have a talk with her again to clarify it all.
    *hugs*!

Well--you were right--she just told her husband that to make it easier on him with four kids!! First thing she told me this morning was that she does NOT microwave the breastmilk. so here I was with my papers explaining why not to, etc...just stuck those back in my pocket!

I told her that was fine--if she had a sub like her husband or someone not used to having that many kids, etc...that was totally fine and I'd probably do the same thing.

thanks for the support!!!!

I'm glad this all ended so well. It could have been much worse. Yea for understanding!
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I had almost the exact same situation where my sitter had to leave and her mother and friend were watching my daughter and they said they microwaved her bottle... my first reaction was to flip out but I didn't and did talk to the sitter about it and she assured me that she doesn't microwave her bottles... I guess this just reminds us that communication is so important...

Maybe I'm just a little vindictive and have trouble letting things go, but I would still be mad that she had her hubby warm the milk in the microwave. On one hand, yeah, it makes it easier. But still, you are paying her to take care of your darling child and if she gets a sub, well he still needs to be consistent. But that's just me...like I said, maybe I just have issues with letting things go...