Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fast let down causing trouble-help!

Default Fast let down causing trouble-help!

Hi! I'm new here and I hope I hope somebody will be able to help me with this.

I'm having some rough patch BF my 17 day old girl! I'm hoping somebody will be able to help. Since my milk has come in, I have realised that I have a very fast let down reflex, and the pace of milk is also very fast all through out until the hindmilk. She usually is done within like 5 minutes, and the whole time, she has been swallowing every time she sucks, and is having a hard time coping with it. Sometime she need to unlatch because it is coming out too fast and strong, and she even cough. I also hear her tongue kinda click, in her mouth, making me think that she is trying to protect herself from the fast flow. Now, she is even starting not to open her mouth too wide to try not to be overwhelmed by the debit. Eventually, this will start to hurt my breast if I'm not being careful. And when she does open wide to latch, she closes her mouth back once she is latched.
    The other problem that is arising is that she has started to has colics. She is very uncomfortable in her belly, and you can she is very gassy. This is not only at night, i,m talking all through the day sometimes. This started about a week ago, and trust me, she is a VERY mellow baby. I hate to see her cry being so umcomfy and all. I'm thinking this might be related to the fact that she is having such a hard time to keep up with the flow, that it is making her swallow air.

I tried a couple of things, like expulsing manually some milk before she nurses, but the debit is fast all through out, so I don't know how to make it go down, to a pace for her to be able to keep up without having the impression she is overwhelmed by the milk coming out. She relly has a hard time with it, she seems out of breth most of the time, or at least looking for it through her mouthfulls of milk.
    I also tried nuring her laying down, but that didn't help at all. She rather be her head a little higher then her feet.

now, I just don't know what to try anymore. And I can see how from day to day, she is not opening as wide, and I can see that being another problem coming up.
    Can somebody recommend something to help me out?

Default Re: Fast let down causing trouble-help!

One thing you can try is having her nurse until you milk lets down, then take her off, let your milk spray into a cloth, then put her back on when it slows down. Some moms have good luck nursing when reclined.

She probably is gassy from swallowing too much air. Does she burp well when you are nursing?

Here's some info you might find helpful. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

Default Re: Fast let down causing trouble-help!

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    One thing you can try is having her nurse until you milk lets down, then take her off, let your milk spray into a cloth, then put her back on when it slows down. Some moms have good luck nursing when reclined.
    Both of the things pp listed have worked for me. If you're leaned back, baby's throat will be higher than your nipple and gravity will maybe keep the milk from hitting the back of her throat so fast.

Another thing is that my LO seems to keep up with the flow better if she is sleepy, either at night or right after she wakes up from a nap. I know you can't always customize your feedings around those times, but the more you can feed her when she's really relaxed, the more likely she is to put up with the OALD.

And I second the recommendation to check out kellymom.com. Good info there.

The other thing I can tell you is to just hang in there. Your supply will regulate some so that the force of the milk isn't quite as strong, and also your LO will at some point get used to the fast flow and be able to keep up with it.

It's tough in the meantime, though, and I know it! Hang in there!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?