Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need new pump for 11 mos. old?

Default Need new pump for 11 mos. old?

I will be going back to work when my daughter is 11 mos. old - I have been a SAHM since she was born and I have a medela single electric pump, which has been more than sufficient to date. I know I will probably have to express some until she is 12 mos, but will my single electric be sufficient for that short period of time? Any thoughts?
    Also, at what age can I go without pumping at work and when I stop pumping what will dd eat/drink instead?

Default Re: Need new pump for 11 mos. old?

Hmmm...it might be more time consuming. The pump has a less powerful motor, but for that shor period of time I'll bet it would work fine. Watch out for problems such as plugged ducts, though.

Most mothers increase baby's intake of solids if they plan on pump weaning at 1yr. You can discuss starting cow's milk with your doctor, as well.

could you maybe just rent a bigger pump for a month or 2?
    Are you thinking about weaning all together at 12 months?
    depending on the times you will be away from your baby might they get up more at night to nurse and you will not have to pump during the day.
    Think about keeping nursing after 12 months, babies in day care get sick more often! Nursing might save you a few trips to the doctor.

I think renting a hospital-grade pump (andrea-ohio's suggestion) is a fantastic idea. You might only pump for a month or two after returning to work. Or you could pump longer, it totally depends on what you want to do.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I just spoke with the early childhood director from the school and she said that I could just come over and nurse on my breaks! So, I may not need to pump at all. Hmm . . . wondering if I'll need a back supply in case it takes my dd a while to get used to nursing when I come and not on demand?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi'sMama
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts - I just spoke with the early childhood director from the school and she said that I could just come over and nurse on my breaks! So, I may not need to pump at all. Hmm . . . wondering if I'll need a back supply in case it takes my dd a while to get used to nursing when I come and not on demand?

It wouldn't hurt to build up a back-up supply...I just went to work part-time last month (1hr shifts...less than 2hrs counting the drive and transition time), and even on that very minimal schedule, there were still some nights when my demand-fed baby could not be persuaded to nurse in the preceding hour and/or became hungry and furious wanting to nurse half an hour after I'd left.

For my first baby, she took an ebm bottle more routinely since I went back earlier for longer shifts, and was weaned at about 10-11 months because of biting issues (now I know what else to try, but not then). For her, I used formula for the remaining time until 12months (switching to a cup in the last month), then spent the next couple weeks after 1st birthday introducing whole cow's milk with the pediatrician's approval, mixing it with formula in increasing amounts until she accepted it without formula at all. (I know, I should have pumped ebm instead, but it's all hindsight guilt now.)

Anyway, if the work/daycare nursing situation doesn't go as planned, that's how we dealt with pump weaning, and it could be adapted to introduce one or two servings of cow's milk at daycare while continuing to nurse at home. ITA that breast is best because of antibodies and more complete vitamins/minerals than any other single food, but when you run up against enough obstacles at work to hinder nursing badly, 12 months is the official age that cow's milk can supply a toddler's dairy needs, with other nutrients from solids. For us, my supply had been on a downhill slide all year long due to work--all my pumping had to be at home since I was only working half-time, no real breaks, no pumping room, etc.--and the amount of pumping I would have needed to fix things would have severely cut into my time with dd. You probably won't run into that since you anticipate being able to still nurse, whereas I had weaned her from the breast, but just wanted to share, you do what you can if things don't work out ideally.