Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I using Gentian Violet correctly?

Default Am I using Gentian Violet correctly?

Hi - I have a few questions about the using Gentian Violet...

I started using gentian violet last night and am using Jack Newman's handout (the one found on www.kellymom.com) as a guideline. I'm not using it to treat my son since he's on Diflucan which seems to be working great for him.

I applied the Gentian Violet to my nipples and aerola before bed and let it dry for awhile.

1. Step one says about 10 ml of gentian violet is more than enough for an entire treatment. All I did was dip my Q-tip into the Gentian Violet and coated the nipples but I don't know how much I used. Should I be using more?
    This morning I nursed my son.

2. The purple on my nipples started staining my son's lips and tongue - is this normal? I thought it would dry off?

After nursing him I did a vinegar rinse of my nipples and then applied the All Purpose Ointment.

3. The ointment seemed to remove some of the stain. Is this normal?

4. I've read on some websites that I should reapply the Gentian Violet a few times a day when the stain disappers. Should I only do it once a day as recommended by Dr. Newman?

Any help would be appreciated! This is my last resort to be pain free - I've been on Diflucan, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Nystatin, etc etc et...

Thanks!

Default Re: Am I using Gentian Violet correctly?

The purple will not harm your son in small volumes. DD used to get it all over her entire face. I guess she is a sloppy eater.

If your nipples are purple then you are using enough GV. I recommend giving the bottle a good shake before you dip the Q-tip in - I have noticed that it makes the dye darker when applied.

I never used the All purpose Nipple Ointment, so I cannot comment personally on that. I think anything wet would remove some GV and the nipple ointment (accd to kellymom) has antifungals in it too - so it will also work against the yeast.

I always reapplied the GV when the stain wore off but I was not using the nipple ointment. Since the nipple ointment has anti-fungals in it too, I would not worry if the stain is gone but I would make sure that you have some form of anti-fungal on your nipples at all times, so I would reapply either the GV or the nipple ointment after you nurse. (The nipple ointment will probably give you more relief as it seems more soothing than the GV.)

Have you also washed everything in hot hot hot water? I boiled my bras in water with vinegar. I have had thrush twice. I think I recontaminated myself with my breast pump (even though I boiled it for 20 mins). I bought some medela microsteam bags to nuke DDs pacifier and my pump pieces. Any sugar that you can cut out of your diet will help limit the yeast. I also recommend taking probiotics. I have baby probiotics for DD and some for me too. (They come dairy free if you have a sensitivity.) Quality probiotics will be refrigerated because they must stay at a controlled temp for the biotics to be alive. Eating yogurt is also excellent yeast defense.

Good luck! I hope you find relief quickly!

you can also slather LO face in vaseline or aquaphor prior to nursing to prevent staining thier face..just in case you want to go out in public, that way you only have a purple mouthed LO and not a purple marshan LO. he he! I had to do GV twice with my twin girls, the looks you get in public are priceless...but nobody asks anything. it is kinda funny!

Quote Originally Posted by kcmcginnis View Post
    the looks you get in public are priceless...but nobody asks anything. it is kinda funny!
    When DD had a purple face people would say, "her mouth is purple." I would say, "Yeah, she loves grape popsicles." People nod and then turn away with this confused look on their face (she was way to young to eat grape popsicles and it was winter.) Other responses I liked were, "Just like her daddy!" or "She was born that way." and "OH MY GOSH! REALLY?! WHAT DO YOU THINK THAT IS FROM?"

Default Re: Am I using Gentian Violet correctly? THRUSH HELP!

What dosage of probiotics do you recommend? I have spent the last hour crying - just not knowing what else to do...

I have now tried Diflucan, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Gentian Violet, Acidopholis, a no sugar diet, boiled/sterilized everything - and although I feel better than I have before, (I don't feel the broken glass as much nor the millions of pins and needles raking through me during let down), I still feel some and the stabbing pain after nursing...

I am now trying some other herbal remedies - I found this link on kellymom and have also talked to the lactation consultant at this facility. Has anyone had any luck on getting rid of those resistant strains of yeast? Has anyone tried Pau D’Arco Tea ?

http://lactinv.com/tscreen.htm

Acidophilus is probiotics. I take 10 billion cells per day. (Natures Way Once Daily Cal'dophilus). Are you treating the LO too? If you only treat yourself then LO can give the yeast right back to you.

If your pain is getting better you are probably getting rid of the yeast! It could take a few days for your breasts to heel even after the yeast is gone. Have you tried to find a compounding pharmacy to make dr. Newman's All Purpose Nipple Ointment?

APNO directions here: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I am now trying some other herbal remedies - I found this link on kellymom and have also talked to the lactation consultant at this facility. Has anyone had any luck on getting rid of those resistant strains of yeast? Has anyone tried Pau D’Arco Tea ? http://lactinv.com/tscreen.htm
    I'd say it's worth a try. That site has good information. I like that some of their approaches (i.e.: the Pau D'Arco Tea, the Diaper Ointment) are different than what you read everywhere else. Are you still on Acidophilus? That is good for you anyway - I wouldn't stop taking it. It will also help keep thrush away once you are rid of this infection.

I have been using the APNO since last Friday. My little guy has been treated along with me and seems to be doing great - the white on his tongue is now gone and his diaper rash is just about better...

It's just my pain now, and I know I have to be careful not to keep passing it back to him. I've been taking 20 B of Acidopholis a day as well...

I'm thankful it's getting better, but I'm really just so so frustrated about it not going away... Right when I think it's better, the pain comes back

I'm sorry! It sounds like you are doing everything possible to get rid of the Great White Devil! I hope you are painfree soon. Be sure you are getting enough rest to heal!