Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vicodin

Default Vicodin

Hi everyone. I have a question about Vicodin. I just threw out my back, OUCH!!! , and I took some Vicodin for the pain. Not sure yet if the drugs are working since I'm still in pain, but anyway I digress. I was wondering if I can still breastfeed while taking Vicodin, or if not how long do I have to pump/dump my breastmilk before I can breastfeed again. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Vicodin

First, ouch, so sorry to hear that you are hurting .

I googled vicodin+breastfeeding hoping to find what Thomas Hale lists it as but only found this from babycenter.com.

"Potentially Hazardous -
    You should avoid or use these drugs with caution, particularly while breastfeeding a newborn or premature infant.

Narcotics, especially meperidine in addicts, or with high doses in neonates Tylenol #3, Vicodin Used for pain (one tablet every four hours maximum)."

But I don't know what it's half life is/how long it stays in you and the milk.

Hi piilani_girl,
    I hope you are able to feel better soon!
    As LLL Leaders we can't tell you if a drug is OK or not to take. We can give you published information and this is something you can discuss with your healthcare provider as you make a decision.
    According to Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk, 2004, Vicodin (Hydrocodone) is a Lactation Risk Category "L3 - moderately safe" (see below for description of what that means).
    He goes on to say that this drug is commonly used in breastfeeding mothers throughout the USA. Most authors suggest that doses of 5 mg every 4 hours or more has a minimal effect on nursing infants, particularly older infants. But there is no data available for this drug's levels in milk. To reduce exposure of the infant, attempt to feed infant prior to taking the medication.
    Pediatric concerns: None reported via milk but observe closely for sedation, apnea, constipation.
    He lists codeine as a potential alternative.
    This medication's peak plasma level is 1.3 hours. The half-life is 3.8 hours.

HTH!
    Mary

L3 - Moderately Safe - "There are no controlled studies in breastfeeding women, however the risk of untoward effects to a breastfed infant is possible; or, controlled studies show only minimal non-threatening adverse effects. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the infant."

I checked in The Nursing Mother's Companion and pretty much got the same as the post above by LLLMaryP. You can take acetaminophen or ibuprofen in addition. Get well soon!