Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I REALLY miss peanut butter

Default I REALLY miss peanut butter

My pediatrician and lactation consultant told me to avoid peanut butter since I am breastfeeding to help avoid a peanut allergy in my LO.
    Problem is - I am a PB FANATIC!!!
    Is anyone else avoiding PB? Thoughts???

Default Re: I REALLY miss peanut butter

Yes....Many, Many of us are. Check out the Allergies forum and you will see.

heres a good link from kelly mom's
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...s.html#peanuts

Hmmm...I was never told that I can't eat it myself. I was just told to avoid giving it to her until age 2. Mine you, I'm not a PB fanatic but do have the occasional yen for a PB&J!

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Do you have a history of allergies in your family or has your LO had an allergic reaction (hives, eczema, etc)? That's usually the reason you would want to avoid it. I, too, am a PB fanatic and ate it all through my pregnancy and continue to eat it while bf'ing. My ped never even suggested that I avoid any potential allergens in my diet, and since DD has never had any problems I've never had to worry about it. We also have no history of allergies in the family.

What will happen if you DO have a history and you have PB? I eat it all the time, while I don't have a history of PB allergies, we do have eczema history
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

It's not like something will happen if you have a family history of allergies and then eat PB, it's just that since baby's at a higher risk, some consider it beneficial to avoid allergens that can pass through. Whether or not you see signs in baby or not.

Mamas dealing with family histories of allergies or with allergic kids will be better able to speak to that, though.

OMG... i LOVE Peanut butter... and I have psorasis! If I think of it, I won't eat it.. but I definitely have peanuts (some form of it) maybe 4-8 times per month
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!

If you cannot eat peanuts for some reason - allergies or preventive or whatever - you can eat Sunflower Seed butter. Not as yummy as PB but doable and safe for most allergies

Mom to - 6 yrs, 4 yrs, and twins 3 years

Check out my Work at Home Job Here

As someone that developed an allergy to PB at 23 (yes, it was awful...I'm a PB addict!)...I do avoid it with my twins, too. I can't eat it (I'd like to live to see old age), so the bf aspect was never an issue. The twins have never had any signs of an allergy to it (thank God for bf-ing), and they have had it a few times at my Mom's (and then go thru a decontamination process before they see me).

Really, my extreme food allergies are why I bf. If I can prevent it in my kids, it's a good thing!

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)