Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: watery stool

Default watery stool

why would lo have watery poop?

Default Re: watery stool

If your lo is strictly breastfed, there is no waste with bm and around this age they begin to poop a lot less. The body creates a liquid to help remove stool, but if there is no stool....you get lots of that liquid, or what we referred to as "blow-outs" every couple of weeks. This is the way our ped explained it to us. HTH.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My lo has watery poop too! I thought maybe it was the medicine that she is taking (Prevacid for reflux). SHe has huge big poops that are some liquid, some mushy (sorry TMI). But then she gets these little squirts of liquid that seem to upset her. Is that what your lo does??

My lo is pooping orange water too these last few days! It has been almost a week, about once a day. I guess it's okay, from what the others have said.

Here is some information from Kelly Mom:

Another time when moms can be unsure about whether to continue nursing is when baby has diarrhea or is vomiting. Frequent and loose stools in a breastfed baby is not necessarily diarrhea. Here is more information on normal stooling patterns for breastfed babies: What Are Baby's Stools Supposed to Look Like? Diarrhea in a breastfed baby is diagnosed when a baby has 12-16 stools per day (or more often than the baby's regular stool frequency), watery stools, and an offensive odor to the stools. Just one of these symptoms does not in itself mean the baby has diarrhea.

Here is some information from Dr. Jay Gordon:

Frequent Watery Stool often "Greener" than usual
    How can you spot diarrhea in a baby who has loose frequent stools every day? This type of poop is "diarrhea" in a breastfed baby. It can be due to a virus, a bowel infection, stress, anxiety or a food intolerance.

it's not that frequent. it's like once every two days or so. it's still yellow but is the consistency of water. i am trying to figure out if it is related to something i ate...like cheese. we get a bit of spit up after cheese too. didn't know if this was related. there's nothing but bf; no meds, etc.