Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One week old has vomited 3 times, all milk in tummy!

Default One week old has vomited 3 times, all milk in tummy!

I am EBF my one week old daughter. I nursed my older daughter until 21 months. I do not recall ever having this happen to her. But my newborn so far has completely thrown up all the milk in her tummy after a good feed. (3x in one week) It is not like she's sick. The problem is she's hungry soon after and fortunatly I am making good milk, and she get's some. But what causes this? She is not a great burper. I burp her inbetween breasts, and afterward. But often she is rooting for the other and does not get a good burp. But this is not spitup..it is all the milk! I have a call into the nurse at the pediatritians office. But this is the number one place for nursing support. So I am here. Any tips or advice will be appreciated.
    JEN
    Happy Wife of 20 years to J~
    Mommy to DD E~ 9/22/04 BF 21 months
    Mommy to DD H~ 7/2/07 BF 27 months CD'd from 10 mos on!
    Mommy to DD A~ 7-14-10 All cloth, and Potty Trained at 2 1/2. Still Nursing!
    I grow an organic garden, homeschool, and really feel blessed to be a SAHM!

Default Re: One week old has vomited 3 times, all milk in tummy!

Do you have so much milk that her little tummy is just getting way too full? DS did this occassionally (but not that young). Is she trying to comfort suck but getting too much milk instead?

My DD did this and was given zantac for Reflux. It helped quite a bit. We needed to keep all the food down in her tummy as possible since she was under 4# at birth. If it continues, you could let your PED know.

It could be that she is getting too much. She takes the pacifier the hospital gave us. But only will take it if she's not hungry. So I think she get's some comfort that way. At least she is not doing this every feed. So I know she is getting enough. Plus there are no shortage of pee and poo diapers and they are exactly the way they should be at this point. I have not heard from the ped office yet..we will see what they say.
    Thanks for your reply!
    JEN

The ped office called and they said it is normal. Could just be she needs to burp more frequently. Like mid-breast..She said that as my DD gets bigger she will stop that all together.
    JEN

I had a similar experience with my 2 week old. When I started giving just one breast per feeding, she stopped spitting it back up all over me. She now usually feeds from one side and about 1/2 hour later will finish her meal from the other side.

I had the same problem (and it got worse when I ended up with OS). One thing to remember is that it can often look like a lot more milk than it is. (If you spill a teaspoon or tablespoon of water on a piece of fabric, you'll see how much it spreads and looks like a lot more water.)

That being said, I have also seen the fountains of milk that can come out of Haley's little tummy. I have taken my fair share of milk baths. Sometimes it is definitely a LOT of milk. I learned that (1) Haley often ate more than her tummy could handle, (2) If I eat too much dairy, she will spit up lots and lots, and (3) Putting pressure on her belly in any way caused spit up.

So I started (1) feeding her on one breast only (and if she still seemed hungry, I tried to hold her off for a few minutes before letting her have the other side, in the hopes that her tummy would have some time to settle), (2) cut way back on dairy, and (3) took care not to position her in a way that would get her scrunched up and put pressure on her belly. I also tried to keep her somewhat upright while she was nursing and for a while afterward, to allow gravity to work and keep the milk down. Besides all this, I just got used to have multiple burp rags beside me, under me, around me, etc., since some of the spitting up was just because the little flap at the top of her esophagus was not fully developed yet (very common in new babies).

And as she's gotten older and matured, and as I've learned to avoid dairy, she's spitting up less. It'll take some time, but your LO will get there. Just get those burp rags handy!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I second everything that Haley's Mama said. She's a smarty.

great post Gretchen.
    And if your doctors office isn't listening to you find somebody else, go with mommy gut! If you think something is wrong there might be you know your baby beter then the nurse does.
    maybe just some tweaking of how you nurse will help!

Thanks gals! My goodness there is a wealth of knowledge in fellow moms! She is doing better with a little gas drops to help her make good burps. So far that is working for her. She will see the doc again at two weeks. So I will watch closely if she seems to get worse.

Thanks Haley's Mama for taking the tome to write all you did! I am so dedicated to BF..but scince my older daughter is almost 3 you forget alot. Even thought I did nurse her 21 months. I plan to nurse Haden longer is possible. Thanks for the advice!
    JEN