Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding induced lactation

Default Avoiding induced lactation

When I had my first, my milk didn't come in, for some reason, even though I was 10 days overdue. The hospital had to keep me in 3 extra days pumping me like a cow to induce lactation. I am expecting my second in Oct, and I am not interested in doing that again! Can I prevent it?

Default Re: Avoiding induced lactation

Hello and welcome!

Yes! It is certainly possible to have a better breastfeeding experience the second time around. Have you read THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING? Can you attend a local LLL meeting in your area? It's great that you are looking for breastfeeding information so early in your pregnancy. I hope you will stick around here to ask questions and get support from the other mothers in this forum.

Best Wishes!

Tiana

Moving this to Getting Started With Breastfeeding for more replies.

Did you have any complications with your labor or delivery with your first? Trouble with latching?

The best things to help get nursing off to a good start and to help your milk come in are to nurse early and often (immediately after birth) and to keep the baby with you with lots of skin to skin contact (i.e. baby in diaper resting on your chest).

Well, I was induced for labour, but I don't recall having any major troubles latching. My breasts never grew larger or leaked during the pregnancy (or changed at all). I had chapped nipples a few weeks later, so maybe the latch wasn't so great, but the lactation nurse at the hospital felt my 'production' was pretty low and ordered 'the milking'. For the first few days while the colostrum came in, I fed my son through a tiny tube attached to my nipple so he would still latch onto my breast even though he was being fed formula. I have to admit, the hospital did everything they could to facilitate breastfeeding - even keeping me for a few days longer. I was impressed.

It's great that you had a very supportive hospital. I also stayed in the hospital a couple extra days with my DS - he wasn't able to latch. Sometimes your milk does come in more quickly with a second baby, so hopefully you will have less trouble this time. *Usually* colostrum is all a baby needs for the first couple days until your milk comes in (unless there is some special circumstance). I'd just suggest putting baby to the breast as soon after birth as possible (you may want to look into delaying all of the usually procedures until after the first feeding--this is generally fine to do and facilitates latching) and then nurse as often as baby is willing after that. Avoid any separation from baby if at all possible and do the skin to skin.

The pumping seems strange to me.. My milk didn't come in for three days and no one seemed concerned at all. I just kept nursing. Baby lost weight and was pretty darn hungry but the ped and ob and nurses all seemed to think this was normal. I think it is normal. By the end of the first week I was full and leaking. I ended up with over supply/oald. I think if they suggest that again, I'd answer no thank you to the pump and ask for the baby instead.

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm having difficulties recalling exactly what happened after he was born (you'd think something like that would be seared into my memory forever!). I'm pretty sure one of the first things the nurses did was get him onto my breast. I can't remember what precipitated the pumping - weight loss, bad latch, no colostrum, etc - but whenever I wasn't feeding, I was pumping, so I was feeding/pumping approx. every hour for about 2-3 days! It was nuts! This is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm feeling a bit more optimistic this time, because my breasts have definitely gotten larger and my OB seems to think the pumping was a bit excessive also. Maybe the hospital was a bit over zealous. I was hoping there are stimulation exercises I could perform a week or two before the due date to prime my breasts for the birth, or does the body take care of that naturally?

do you know your local LLL leader?
    She can help if you run into trouble with this baby.
    I don't remeber everything thing that happened with my babies either thats normal and a good thing I think!
    there is good info here on the web site about getting breastfeeding off to a good start
    You can do it this time!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBearlyweeks.html

I've heard that stimulating them BEFORE birth can help bring on labor if you're almost there anyway. I don't think you can or need to do anything right now, besides make up some frozen meals and sew yourself a sling. Your baby will probably suck more if the labor and delivery are nice, so I'd focus on getting exercise and being happy and healthy right now. When the baby is born, wear that kid on your breast as much as possible. You'll be fine.