Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Meningitis

Default Meningitis

My friend's 7 week old baby (born one day after mine!) has meningitis. Has anyone dealt with this or know of someone who has? I am looking for information in general, but I also would like to know if you would visit them in the hospital if you were me? I want to go b/c she needs some support but I am afraid to bring any germs into my home to my infant.

Default Re: Meningitis

heres some info from dr sears maybe that will help you deside if you want to vist or not.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083700.asp

Thanks. I think I actually read this one on the internet last night; I read a thousand articles it seemed! I see that it is only spread through the cough, etc. from the infected person. But I also know that some of her family members had the flu and had visited before they knew it, so I am sort of nervous she (the mom) could have the virus and not know yet. I don't want to be insensitive/overly reactive but I also don't want to jeopardize my own infant. I am torn.

It is a serious dilemma. I can only refer you to the same information you have read and suggest that you be vigilant on behalf of your own child. Surely she will understand that?

Did she test positive for group B strep while she was pregnant? We were very worried that my little one would end up the same way because I tested positive.
    Anyways I would meet her outside the NICU. After talking to the nurses there about it I would not mess around. When a 20+ year NICU nurse says that's the sickest baby they ever saw you listen.

I think you should give her a call if you can. You really have a responsibility to your own family. If she is a good friend she'll understand!

her baby is doing much better. the meningitis is viral which is good. he'd recvd antibiotics prior to them finding out if it was viral or bacterial. i did go see her but the baby was out of the room with dad. he isn't in the icu, just a regular room. i was able to briefly be with mom without coming into contact w/germs (hopefully)