Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not something to brag about!

Default not something to brag about!

ok unfortunatley I currently I am going through a extremely stressful time... theres a good chance my father may have cancer they r doing many test on him for about 1 month I just found out two weeks ago! anyway I began smoking again! I had finally quit in my 6th month! I usually smoke approx 10 a day but I want to quit again before it gets any harder .... does anyone have any advice considering at the present moment my world is like a roller coaster? please help a feel horrible everytime I light up!

Default Re: not something to brag about!

to you mama, Have you tried the patch?? I don't have much more advice than that. If it's stress that's triggering it rather than the craving, unfortunately you may have to find another outlet. What do you like to do. How are some other ways you relieve stress? Maybe you could amplify one of those other methods. Meditating doesn't do anything for me. I personally pray and ask for help getting through these kinds of things. Cleaning also is therapeutic for me. I can roll throught this house if something is going on, KWIM? Keep us posted on your dad. Is there anything I can do??

Knitting helped me quit, though that may not be an option for a busy, stressed out mama. The only other advice I have is just stop. Don't allow yourself to have even just one. That's what I had to do. Do whatever it take to make sure you dont- think of your kids and what they'd do without you, your dad and his illness, whatever it takes to create an aversion/negative association to smoking.

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time, and I hope you are successful quitting. I know it is hard (believe me, I know), but it is so much better in the long run..
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I quit smoking with my second child (didn't with the first) and immediately after he was born I lit up again! Then when I got pregnant with my third child (who is now 6 weeks old) I quit. I just simply ( well not simply) laid them down. I smoked about a pack a day. I found the things that triggered me to crave smoking and tried to avoid them. For example I smoked after I ate, so instead of smoking I would go for a walk or read, just something to occupy my mind. I was really bad when I was on the phone, so instead I will clean out a junk drawer or wipe down the counters, any distractions work. I also used smoking as a "reward" like after I cleaned the floor or gave both kids a bath, once again distraction. The internet and cleaning have become my past times (sad isn' it). Just don't give in to temptation as hard as it is, I still crave them and I just have to find something to take my mind off of them. It can be done you just have to give yourself credit for every step you take. I smoked a pack a day and just quit cold turkey. Some people need to "taper" themselves, you have to find what works for you and do it! One more thing- figure up how much you spent on cigarettes and then at the end of the month with the money you saved by not smoking go get a massage or a manicure to reward yourself.
    Last edited by bjdean2003; July 10th, 2007 at 12:45 PM.

I have no idea on the effects of wellbutrin and breastfeeding, but my dh's doctor prescribed it when he quit and he used that along with the patch and a lot of gum. My mom used the same combo, but she chewed straws instead of the gum (helped with the hand-mouth habit). If you are experiencing a lot of emotional things right now, I would def. talk to your doctor about something to help with depression/anxiety. Another option, a bit more natural, for mood is fish oil. I have been taking it religiously since I went off lexapro and it seems to help!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by bjdean2003 View Post
    One more thing- figure up how much you spent on cigarettes and then at the end of the month with the money you saved by not smoking go get a massage or a manicure to reward yourself.
    Great idea! I wish I'd thought of that when I was quitting!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    Great idea! I wish I'd thought of that when I was quitting!!!
    I just knew I needed something to reward myself with. And it's not like I was spending money since I was used to spending that much a month anyway!

I have honestly tried the patch but it reacts with my skin so I can't use that route but ill try some of the other suggestions thank u for all ur support I think I may try cold turkey tomorrow! I'm sure with all this support it won't be that hard abd I'm gonna try to go to my local league meeting tom!

I'm sorry for you -it's so difficult to quit. I quit 3 years ago when we began TTC. I just stopped cold turkey, and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned! Whenever I had a craving, I'd drink a glass of water, or do something healthy like 10 squats or something. I definetly rewarded myself frequently for being so good.

One thing I had trouble with was depression - I didn't realize the lack of nicotine could trigger that, but luckily it only lasted about 3 weeks - they were the hardest for me.

Good luck, and just do the best you can.

So sorry to hear about your stresses.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I have to be honest when I say I'm happy to get so many stories back from people I have been beating myself up over this (ontop of all that's been going on) and it hasn't halped one bit as u can imagine. I felt as if I had no where else to turn so I figured I would come here and I'm gonna try to make it to my local meeting tomorrow (keeping me busy and getting out with no triggers!) I know its for breast feeding but if women there are as great as they are here then I may have more support