Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diagonised with Reflux

Default Diagonised with Reflux

Hi,
    After sore throat my 3 1/2 month old has been crying, spitting up, throwing -up and finally doctor concluded its a reflex.She has to take zantex for 3 months.

I cried so much today b'cos we had so many problem with bf from first.Now after evrything seems to be ok now again there is a problem.
    I have a few questions
    Is there is anything else I shld do like diet-wise ?
    Maybe she has all problems b'cos of my bm.Should i give her formula ?
    If she has to take medication what are the side effects ?
    I'm looking for support from moms who underwent this.
    I'm totally depressed.

Thanks
    Mangai

Default Re: Diagonised with Reflux

Hi Mangai ~ No worries, your breastmilk is not causing your baby to have reflux. In fact, being breastfed makes your baby that much more comfortable as artificial milk can be even more irritating to their intestinal system. Her reflux isn't caused by something in your diet either so don't worry about what you're eating.

You're doing a great job! Don't underestimate how important and gentle breastmilk is. Your body was meant to conceive, carry a baby and nurse!

Hey Mangai. I watch a little guy who has reflux 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week so I am pretty much his "other mommy" as his moms calls me. He was on a baby version of Prevacid 1ML 2x/day and a compounded medication (don't remember the name) to help him not spit up 4x/day until several weeks ago. He just turned 5 months this past weekend.

First, BF is the BEST possible thing that you can be doing for her. Dr. Sears mentions how breastfeeding is one of the best things that a mother can do to help calm reflux, although it may not be enough on it's own, hence the use of medication. I would NOT recommend switching to formula as the little guy that I watch is a ff baby and she has had to switch brands several times to find one that he would tollerate.

Second, he has had no side effects from the medications, they helped because he truely needed them. Along with the medications, make sure you try to keep her upright for 30 minutes after feeding because that can help reduce the risk of spit up and aggravation.

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend getting or borrowing a copy of Dr. Sears The Baby Book because he has a whole section on comforting the baby with reflux, tips on foods to avoid, positions to sleep in, etc. Way too much for me to list here. The book is worth way more than the $20 it costs IMHO as you can get so much more info on pretty much everything you could ever want to know.

Good luck, and don't worry. The little guy has now been medication free for almost 3 whole weeks and doing great! So they can grow out of it.

My little one has also been diagnosed with reflux. She was put on baby zantac a couple weeks ago and is doing GREAT!! It is absolutely not your milk (I wondered the same thing and almost switched to formula, and am so glad I didn't!). Hang in there...the meds have no side effects...and the change is so wonderful...it was so sad to see my poor little baby in so much pain all the time...its great to see her happy again! Hang in there...it'll get better! Try not to take it too hard...it's better to treat it and have the baby happy and healthy than to just wait it out and have the poor little thing in all kinds of pain that can be treated. Hope this helps!

Thanks for all who responded.I feel a lot better,
    I have 2 different things about feeding her.My doctor said its better to feed her from bottle than breast since the faster milk flow will affect her stomach.
    But my lc says its better with breast so she gets less air.Dont know which one to try

Any suggestions

Thanks
    Mangai

Well, if you are concerned about your milk flowing too fast and it affecting her stomach there are measures you can take. Whether they're necessary or not is really up to you This article may help: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html

I do have a suggestion (since you asked) and that is I suggest you continue to breastfeed. Your breastmilk is the gentlest food for your baby and it offers a lifetime of benefits for both baby and mom. Reflux usually clears up within the first 6 months of life or so. Hang in there! You'll get through this.

Hello again...as far as the fast milk flow...I have OALD, and when my dd was first diagnosed she was still pretty little and having a hard time with it. I could feel when my milk would let down, so as soon as I felt it, I took her off the breast and let the milk spray into a nursing pad or washcloth. When it was done being wild, I would put my baby back to the breast and continue with the feeding. That seemed to really help a lot! Plus, it helped to put her in the football hold as well because she was sitting up a bit more than in the cradle hold. One other thing that I have done is mix the medicine with 1 oz of expressed breast milk because she would spit all of the horrible tasting stuff out otherwise. She takes it fine that way, and then I just continue the feeding by nursing. I have done both bottle and breast with my dd and have noticed no difference between the two. Hope this helps!