Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help please

Exclamation Help please

Unfortunately, I have to go back to work in a couple of weeks (I really don't want to, but my family needs the extra income) and my ds STILL refuses the bottle. DS is 2-1/2 months old now and I've never been able to get him to take the bottle. Even in the hospital when they needed to bring his blood glucose levels up quickly, he refused the bottle. Occasionally, he will take a bottle from my husband or my 11 year old dd, but it's not consistent because dh is a truck driver and he's only home once a month for two days and dd is only with us every other weekend because she lives with her father. Today I took him to the daycare he'll be at with my toddler and they weren't able to get him to take one either. The last time dh was home he tried to get ds to take bm in a bottle and ds refused it completely. DH used a syringe in the end to get some milk into ds, but ds spit out the 1/2 tsp of milk dh got in his mouth and refused to take anymore. This wouldn't be an issue if I worked somewhere I could at least take ds with me or my family didn't need the money. How do I get this child to take a bottle? He's the only one of my three kids who has ever refused anything other than the breast. Please, help.
    Tanya
    Wife to Brandon since 10/14/2003
    Mommy to Erin, my know-it-all preteen, since 7/03/1996.
    Mommy to Katrina, my adventurous toddler, since 7/29/2005.
    Mommy to Connor, my "little man," since 4/22/2007.

Life can be hectic, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Default Re: Help please

Were you in the room when your DS refused the bottle at the daycare? He may see Mommy and want the real stuff! If he gets hungry at daycare and you are not there, we will drink the milk. Experiment with different bottles. We ended up using the ventaire bottles by playtex but had to try a few others first! Try having someone give the bottle when you are not around. Some babies do not eat much during the day when they are at daycare but will make up for the mixed feedings during the evening or night when they are with mommy. Good luck!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

[QUOTE=Lainey's Mom;231542]Were you in the room when your DS refused the bottle at the daycare? He may see Mommy and want the real stuff! QUOTE]

I agree. I have come home from work when DH or my mom is giving DD a bottle and she'll freak out because she knows the real thing is there. Give it time, try each day and be patient. babies sense tension and if he knows you are freaked out by this, it may make it worse.
    I know, I know...easier said than done!
    big

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

At the daycare I was in the room paying attention to dd when he refused the bottle. When dh tried to give him the bottle I was in the bathroom dealing with a bout of food poisoning and he refused it. Other times when he's taken it, I was in the room either sitting right next him or doing other things while someone else fed him. It's not consistent. I'll keep trying and I'll do my best to not freak out about it.
    Tanya

maybe I missed it - but whats in the bottle ? Is it BM or formula? That might be the issue... I also second trying different bottles.

Good luck!!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    maybe I missed it - but whats in the bottle ? Is it BM or formula? That might be the issue... I also second trying different bottles.
    Breast milk. He has been offered formula as well and will occasionally take it if I've left him with my mom or dh's aunt and they've run out of milk for him, but he will usually wait for me as he hates formula. My mom is more the culprit in giving him formula when she runs out of milk more than dh's aunt. My mom will go buy it if need be where as dh's aunt will call my cell and ask me to come back to nurse ds. Neither of them ever even tried to nurse their babies, but dh's aunt is more supportive than my mom.
    Tanya