Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding frenzy

Default Feeding frenzy

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone else has gone through periods where your older baby/toddler (my dd is 16 months) has wanted to nurse much more often than usual.

At least a couple of times a day Kate is asking for 'mama' every half hour or so, lasting for a couple of hours. Also she's often doing it right before mealtimes - if I then try to give her a meal she refuses it and if I nurse her she's too full for the meal - maybe I just need to move the mealtimes a bit earlier to pre-empt the nursing? Because some days she seems to be eating only bm and that can't really be good for a child her age. Mind you it is a hot and humid summer here at the moment so maybe that's normal?

Any comments or ideas?

(So glad these forums are here!!)

Default Re: Feeding frenzy

Hi kiwijo,

Lia has started behaving the same way too! She is close to 13 months old and she'd usually nurse like 4 times a day, in between her 3 solids meals. However, for these few times, she would be asking for milk (coming up to me whining, lifting my top and all) barely 1/2 hour after her lunch/dinner!

And in the mornings, it used to be just a session of nursing while lying in, and we would then get out of bed for breakfast. But now, it has increased to two nursings sessions, and sometimes even three, in just like an hour!

And I am just leaving things as it is for now, since I loved to breastfeed Lia, I am more than happy to cater to her increased demand!

Hi Kiwijo,
    How wonderful that you are so in-tuned to your dd's nursing needs and noticing that she seems to need you more lately! You are right to consider that it is summer and very hot...maybe dd is more thirsty than normal? Keeping a cup of cold water available to her might help her regulate her thirst. There are so many reasons that a toddler begins to ask to nurse more often. These can be related to thirst, nutrition, comfort, fear, being tired...you get the picture! But one thing continues remain the same...and that is the fact that your dd is still getting plenty of nutrition from your milk. Many mothers have found that toddlers your dd's age continue to receive their main source of nutrition from their milk, and complement that with other foods, and this is a very healthy way for a toddler to grow!

If your dd is suddenly uninterested in mealtimes it could be that she is not willing to sit long enough to eat anymore. Some mothers try offering smaller amounts of healthy foods throughout the day and this works better for the busy toddler. Has she always been very interested in food? Maybe she is telling you that she wants to try some new things if you haven't varied her choices in a while. Does your dd have any food allergies or is there a history of food allergies in your family? Some toddlers have a built-in system to protect themselves against foods which might bother them by exclusively nursing for longer and waiting to try too many foods other than mothers milk.

Do you notice any particular time of day when she needs to nurse more? Maybe this is a time when you and she are normally doing other things and she expressing her need for you. If you know she is going to need to nurse a lot say around 9 or 10 am, you could try to pre-empt this with going outside for a walk to the park, or putting on some fun music to dance around to. Often mothers will give their attention in other ways besides nursing (such as reading books, doing puzzles, etc.) and this helps a toddler through these times.

Has she been more tired lately or not sleeping well at night? Has your schedule been changed in any way? All of these things can cause a toddler to increase the times they ask to nurse during the day.

I hope these suggestions help. Please let us know how things are going for you. Good luck!

Hi Kiwi Jo

You are right about our summer being hot and humid, horrible weather to be nursing all day.

The first thought that came to my mind, is your daughter teething again? All my wee ones go off food and seem to have feeding frenzies when the next set of teeth are due to cut again.

Otherwise, just like every phase our children seem to go through, the best answer may be "because she can!", and this too will pass.

Where in NZ are you?

Caroline
    Mum of 4 (2 still nursing)

Kate, thanks for the acknowledgement - it is rather easy to be tuned in to her needs when she puts one hand on each breast, wobbles them vigourously while saying 'mama', 'mama' (our word for nursing)!!

Caroline, hi, I'm in Auckland - I think we've actually met at an Area 1 event if you are who I think you are - you were just about to have number 4? I'm an LA from the Massey group (hope it's OK to say that on here). She could be teething I guess - she has 12 already and I wasn't expecting her last molars till a bit later but could be? It's something I always realise in hindsight...

Johanna