Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: thrush relief??

Default thrush relief??

I am suffering from what I believe to be a thrush infection in my nipples (although we are a military family and are still waiting for a doctors appointment for a proper diagnosis. ) I was hoping someone could give me some tips as to how I can get some relief from the horrible burning that I experience most of my day. I am also dealing with some latch pain, perhaps because I am already in pain and am hesitant to nurse because of that, although I do sometimes fear that my nipples are too large for my DD's little mouth. Any tips for either problem would be greatly appreciated!!

Default Re: thrush relief??

I am not good with latch pain but I believe myself to be a thrush expert.

What makes you think you have thrush? Does your LO have it?

I recommend using Gentian Violet on your nipples. It gave me relief quickly. I purchased mine at a small local pharmacy. I would call around to see where you can find some.

Here is a bunch of info on GV use.

Here is some general thrush info.

Here is an informative past thrush thread.

HTH

The only reason I have been able to find for the constant burning sensation that I have is thrush, but I don't think my dd has any of the symptoms. I am just unable to find another cause for the pain. I had latch pain with my son who I nursed for 11 months, but never had any pain while not nursing. With her, the pain comes in waves throughout the day after I have finished nursing. Also, the fact that I just finished a round of antibiotics for mastitis.

The antibiotics alone are enough of a reason.... grrr..

Some things you can do to get rid of it more quickly. Rinsing your nipples in vinegar after nursing, using the GV, taking probiotics (should be refrigerated), washing anything that touches your breasts (bras, pads) in hot hot water and possibly vinegar, cutting sugar out of your diet (as much as possible). Read through those links I posted. There is a lot of information there!

I am sorry you have to deal with this after just dealing with mastitis! I hope you feel relief soon!