Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nipple shield question

Question nipple shield question

Hello everybody. I've been reading all through these posts, trying to find someone else using nipple shields but have not had any luck. I have a 2 week old who has been exclusively feeding using nipple shields for a little over a week. So many things I read caution against them, but without them, I would have to pump and bottle feed, something I'd rather not do. I feel like the shield is better than a bottle at this point. I spoke to a LaLeche rep from my area today, and she suggested that next week some day I simply take away the shields. She realizes I will have a really bad day that day with a very upset child but thinks it might work. I'm terrified to have to do this because whenever I try to latch him without the shields, he gets very frustrated and screams. If I go cold turkey with him, will he just not eat all day? I'm not sure how it will work. He has latched on a few times on his own but not too often. I end up feeding him probably longer than most people because I want to make sure he's getting enough. His diaper count is still good, so that's reassuring, but I'm constantly worrying and just want him to latch on to me exclusively. Any success stories for reassurance?

I am very thankful for this forum because it's just so nice to see that I'm not the only one who is having issues and feeling scared. Motherhood is by far the most challenging thing I've ever faced!

Default Re: nipple shield question

We used the nipple shield for 6 months. I tried several times to wean off of it with no luck. Then all of a sudden DS latched on without it. He took it off himself and we have been without it since. I didn't mind using it that much. It was cumbersome out in public but was worth it. Good luck.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

I read someones post one time about how they used some scissors and started cutting away at the top of the shield (over time) until nothing was left! Would that be worth a shot?

hey...i'm in a similar boat (though I just started using the shield yesterday with my 10 day old). I also agree that for me right now, the shield is MUCH better than a bottle.

I have been told that it would be best to start the feeding with the shield, and then take it off and see if they will go back on to the breast. The thought is that the shield will have helped to pull the nipple out a bit and then they will be better able to latch on their own...i don't know if it will work, but it is what my LC suggested.

ps: i have read that with the silicone shields, you shouldn't cut them b/c they will leave sharp corners.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I read someones post one time about how they used some scissors and started cutting away at the top of the shield (over time) until nothing was left! Would that be worth a shot?
    I think this was the method used when they were made of rubber but is not recommended for the ones made of silicone (which is all I have seen at the store here!).

Exclamation Re: nipple shield question

I've been to a few LLL meetings with nipple shield users. They all said they eventually got off of it by removing the shield mid-feeding every single feeding until baby latched without. It took varying amounts of time, but I could tell on the moms' faces that it was worth it.

I've also read that shields can affect supply, so I encourage you to keep track of baby's wet and dirty diapers and weight to make sure LO is getting enough. Otherwise, you might consider pumping to keep your supply up. If you're worried about this, please contact your LLL leader to discuss.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

heres a good link from kelly moms.
    your baby is very young at two weeks, there is plenty of time to wean him from the sheild.
    why did you start to use the sheild?

Here is my story: When I was in the hospital the nurses gave me a nipple shield which I thought was great. It made nursing so much easier. No one gave me any "for the future" instructions, though. I even told the LC that I saw at the hospital that I was using one and she did not comment. So, it was not until my baby was 3 months old and I finally got time to do some research about these that I learned how "bad" they are supposed to be! By this time my lo and I were hooked, though. I tried some of the ideas from the below link to try to wean DD off of them, but she just got frustrated. I talked to my Ped who said that we seemed to be nursing really well with the shield (good weight gain etc), so if I wanted she would give me a referral to an LC to try to wean but if I did not want to that it was okay to keep doing what I was doing. So, my DD has been using the shield for 8 months now. It is a little more work because you always have to have a clean shield and makes nursing in public more difficult. However, I like the quote below, I think it is much better to nurse with a shield than to not nurse at all! I have heard people on here say that they used a shield for several months then all of the sudden their lo refused the shield and nursed naturally. It is still early days for you and your lo. Maybe after a few weeks you could take it away without any problems. Personally, I would not want my lo to get frustrated at the breast for too long.

Check out this link for some information http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html
    This is a quote from the site that I live by!

"Although nipple shields should be used only after other options have been tried, it is better to have a baby on the breast with a shield than not on the breast at all! "

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

heres a good link from kelly moms.
    your baby is very young at two weeks, there is plenty of time to wean him from the sheild.
    why did you start to use the sheild?
    We must have been posting at the same time!