Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Could pumping too much cause her to be disinterested in the breast?

Default Could pumping too much cause her to be disinterested in the breast?

Early on in my breast feeding experience, my doctor recommended pumping because I was experiencing severe pain during nursing. Long story short, my baby is 8 months old and while she has been on breast milk her whole life, most of it came from a bottle. I would occasionally breast feed, though. LIke on Saturday mornings when I wanted a few more minutes of sleep I would cuddle her and let her feed. However, I think the last time we did that was about 3 weeks and now she cries when I offer her my breast. I read a lot of the other threads and I think she may be reacting to my stern and sharp cries of pain when she bit me. She has 4 teeth and loves to chew on rubbery things. So, I don't know what to do. I had hopes that I would know when the last time was coming so I could savor every minute, but now it seems like the last time for us came and went without me knowing. Over the past few days I've been pretty emotional at times (even crying) because I feel like I lost something. I try at each feeding, but again, she cries and cries. I wonder how hard I should try because I know she is going to bite me again I wonder if I should just be happy that she loves my milk and just relish the fact that she is happy and healthy. Any advice?

Default Re: Could pumping too much cause her to be disinterested in the breast?

It could be the biting yelps. They are hard not to make.
    Are you trying to get baby to nurse when she is hungry or when she is in-between? Where are you guys when you offer? What have you tried exactly?
    What sort of bottles are you using; the tips I mean. What flow?

I've tried at night when I thought she'd be the sleepy and relaxed, I've tried first thing in the morning when I thought she'd be in the best mood and hungriest. This past weekend, I tried to offer the breast at each feeding. Same result, pursed lips, turns head away, wiggles away and cries. When bottle was in sight she actually reached out for it. I tried in my bed because that is usually where I would feed her (at nights and early mornings), I also tried in her room while holding her and laying down just in case she associated my bed with my scary yelps. I use the Playtex VentAir adn stage 2 nipples.

I would consider making it more difficult and back off to stage one. Stage one mimics the breast's natural flow, more closely. Have you tried a nice cozy warm bath will baby girl? More skin on skin contact promotes the desire to nurse as well. I would assume that she might want the bottle instead of the breast because of the yelp.... How long ago was it again?
    Do you prime your breast so it tastes like milk? When you say at night, do you mean all the way asleep or still awake?