Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis question....

Question Mastitis question....

So, over a week ago I went to the doctor and was told I had mastitis... I then called my local LLL leader and she agreed... Now, I was given a script for meds, but didn't take them. ALL my symptoms have gone away but one. I still have this nice sized lump in my breast. Every time I nurse my son on that side, I try and massage it out. I also pump that breast to see if I can get anything extra out. Nothing is working. It is smaller than it was when I went to the docs last week, but it is still there and I am starting to get nervous about it. I mean, the pain is gone (for the most part.. the lump is still kinda sore), the fever is gone, and I don't feel sick anymore. Any idea what I can do to clear up this lump??? TIA!

Default Re: Mastitis question....

I had mastitis and it took a while for the lump to go away. Start your feedings with the affected breast, and vary the positions. Try to have the baby's nose or chin pointing toward the lump. Make sure to not miss a feeding and try not to wear underwire or constrictive bra. As long as you don't get a fever or have any pain you should be fine, just keep an eye on the lump, make sure there's some progress going.

Default Re: Mastitis question....

It is very normal for the lump to VERY slowly decrease in size. I think it took about 2 weeks before I was almost 100% back to normal. But like you I felt a lot better a long time before the lump was gone. Drink lots of water, get enough vitamin C and everything else that the PP said.