Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK, Someone Please Tell Me What Just Happened

Default Re: OK, Someone Please Tell Me What Just Happened

Thanks for all the support, mamas. It was another very fussy day, but she did settle down a bit toward evening. Fingers crossed that tomorrow turns out different. Although ... different could mean a whole new challenge, and I'm at least getting used to this one, so maybe I shouldn't wish that.

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen777 View Post
    is she teething? ds does that when he is teething.
    I guess it's possible, but she's pretty young for that (almost 11 weeks, although I know some LOs do teeth that early). She doesn't really have any other symptoms, other than being fussy. And not napping well. I guess if she did pop a tooth that would explain things and put an end to it all. I guess I'll find out eventually if that's what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    I wish my LO would only have 1 hour long screaming sessions! You are lucky imo!!
    Point taken. Perspective adjusted. You're right. It could be worse. I'm just so used to a usually peaceful baby that even an hour can send me right over the cliff. I will think of you and remember I'm lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    When Nora is sleepy she likes Lefty, when she's hungry she likes Pancho. I don't get it, but I've learned to accept it.
    You know, I'm starting to think that's what's happening here. When she's sleepy, like at night or right after a nap, she takes Lefty just fine. But if she's been awake and is still alert or is getting fussy, she will not take Lefty. If I offer her Righty, suddenly she's good to go. This is very annoying, but at least I've maybe figured out the trick.

Where's my Easy Button?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Update: I tricked her.

When I took her up to bed tonight, I tried putting her on the left side and she immediately started to fuss. So I switched her to the right side and let her nurse until she was very sleepy and slowing down to comfort sucking. Then I took her off and put her on the left side. I figured even if she didn't really nurse, the comfort sucking would still be good stimulation for Lefty, since she didn't get much love today, and I don't want her supply to start going nutty. So then Haley just latched on and nursed away.

I don't know what her deal is, but I hope whatever it is comes to an end soon. Otherwise you might see a very cute baby for sale on Diaper Swappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mama View Post
    I don't know what her deal is, but I hope whatever it is comes to an end soon. Otherwise you might see a very cute baby for sale on Diaper Swappers.
    Gretchen, Abby did this just before she started doing calculus. I am sure that Haley is working on differential equations.

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    Gretchen, Abby did this just before she started doing calculus. I am sure that Haley is working on differential equations.
    Goodness, I hope so. She had better be able to tell me the square root of Pi by the end of this week or I've had it!

Update: I had to trick her again today. What does she have against Lefty? Poor boob!

She will nurse on the left side if she is calm and sleepy. Otherwise, forget it. Lefty is the devil.

So today I held her in position but offered her the pacifier. She sucked on it until she was sleepy, and then I offered the breast. She nursed just fine. Later in the day, since she was hungry but screaming, I set the hair dryer on the bathroom counter and turned it on (she likes this). Then I sat on the counter with her and offered her the left breast. She nursed. I was able to eventually turn off the hair dryer and carry her to the rocking chair to finish nursing. Tonight at bedtime, I started her on the right side and switched her to the left when she was sleepy.

So, at least I'm not totally neglecting Lefty. But Lefty was awfully small and floppy all day today, and I started to worry my supply was being affected. Is it possible for this to happen after a few days with some nursing but not quite as much? Can it happen that fast?

I also started to wonder if something hurts her about being on her right side. Maybe her ear hurts when she's turned on that side? Or maybe her shoulder or some other body part hurts when she's resting on it? But then, wouldn't she cry every time she nurses on that side, even the times when I trick her?

I hope she grows out of this soon!

Maybe she just doesn't like that side. I love to sleep on my left side but hate to sleep on my right. No reason. I just don't like it. (Probably something to do with the way I was positioned in the womb or something in the stars.)

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    Maybe she just doesn't like that side. I love to sleep on my left side but hate to sleep on my right. No reason. I just don't like it. (Probably something to do with the way I was positioned in the womb or something in the stars.)
    Well, hey, she's not allowed to have preferences, ok? Because Mama does not want a deflated Lefty. M'kay?

Wink Re: OK, Someone Please Tell Me What Just Happened

Something like this happened with Marguerite. Most of the time, she was striking against the left breast because I was having and overactive letdown (multiple times in same feeding) and she hated that. Because of that, she also had a lot to burp and spit when I was nursing her on the left side and that why she was refusing it. So as soon as she started take the left breast I was unlatching her every 10-15 sec for the first minutes so she was able to catch her breath and was more able to control the amount of milk in her mouth. This way, I am able to empty the problematic breast and keep going to alternate every time.
    Hope this help.
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

Quote Originally Posted by guenimo View Post
    Something like this happened with Marguerite. Most of the time, she was striking against the left breast because I was having and overactive letdown (multiple times in same feeding) and she hated that. Because of that, she also had a lot to burp and spit when I was nursing her on the left side and that why she was refusing it. So as soon as she started take the left breast I was unlatching her every 10-15 sec for the first minutes so she was able to catch her breath and was more able to control the amount of milk in her mouth. This way, I am able to empty the problematic breast and keep going to alternate every time.
    Hope this help.
    I do have OALD, but she's been doing pretty well with that. (We had a rough week or so while she got used to it and I learned how to slow things down, but since then we've been fine.) But it's possible that is what's bothering her. Who can know for sure?

Another update for you: Haley is slowly starting to allow Lefty back into her life. She still fusses when I get her in position, but several times today she fussed for just a moment and gave in. The newest development is that she decided she didn't want to nurse on the RIGHT side. I know.

I discovered the problem with the right side, though. Just when I thought my OS/OALD was under control, Haley stopped nursing on the left side, which means that the right side got a little more attention over the last few days and started producing more milk. Then I figured out how to trick her into nursing on the left side, and the right side ended up with OS again. I realized this as I was sitting on my friend's deck with milk spraying on my baby and dripping down my side, soaking my pants, and running down the deck chair I was sitting on. Lovely. Later in the day the spraying began again, and Haley got mad again. Grrr.

But I've learned how to trick her into nursing on either side now. I have to start her on my lap with her head at my knees, facing me, and put the pacifier in her mouth. Then, when she's settled, I turn her in the direction I want her to be for nursing. After she accepts that, I turn her body so she's tummy-to-tummy. (All this with the paci still in her mouth.) Then, when I'm sure she's calm (sometimes she fusses a little getting into position), I pull out the paci and offer the breast. Voila! She nurses!

Whew! Who knew getting a baby to nurse required so many steps?

The good news is that tonight at bedtime, she nursed on the left side without a fight, and she was even cranky at the time. I'm hoping this means she's going to quit this foolishness! I talked to my LC today and she said this is normal and no one knows why it happens. She said it can last from a couple days to a couple weeks. Yay.