Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK, Someone Please Tell Me What Just Happened

Default Re: OK, Someone Please Tell Me What Just Happened

I wish my LO would only have 1 hour long screaming sessions! You are lucky imo!!

I took Logan for a weekend trip to visit grandparents and he screamed upon arrival, the entire next day (took one day break from screaming), and then today our first day home he screamed all morning.

All I can say is THANK HEAVENS for babywearing its the only thing that will calm him down today.

Oh and to respond to the boob preference..... been there done that. My LO goes through it often and if you just keep offering the 'bad boob' they will eventually take it. Sucks for feeling lopsided though.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Babies can be crazy and confusing! Whenever DD does something like this I complain and DH says "She's a person not a robot." Then I usually say "But I want a robot!"

I like the Dr. Sears quote, "Its probably because she's a baby". Abby did this one night when she was wearing a new super cute pocket diaper. I thought it was hurting her so I changed her dipe, changed her pjs, changed nursing sides... she just screamed and screamed. After about 2 hours she just fell asleep as if someone had flicked her switch off. She woke up an hour later and nursed as if she hadn't had a "baby freak out" a few hours earlier. (I love that, a "baby freak out".) BTW it wasn't the pocket diaper - she wore it the next night no problem. Who knows!

We had a spell like this a few days ago--in desperation, I gave him some gas drops, and walked him around, cuddling with him, trying to figure out what was wrong...and out of the blue...

"BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRP!!"

I swear, it was about 4-5 seconds long. He was much happier (and probably relieved!) afterwards, as were DH and I!

Get this: An hour later she starts acting really hungry again. I offer her the left breast since by now it is practically bursting. And the screaming starts all over again. I try calming her and offer the breast again. Again with the screaming. I get really frustrated, because I want to meet my baby's needs and she won't let me. I remember that shushing her helped earlier, so I start shushing. She screams louder. I get mad, so I take in a huge breath and shush as loud as I can. I have never shushed so loud. I thought I would blow my teeth out of my mouth with the force of all that air.

And, like magic, the crying stopped. It didn't scare her (don't worry; it wasn't as violent as it sounds). But it sure got her attention. Her eyes got wide and she just stared at me, like, "Mama, what is WRONG with you?" And then, still looking me right in the eye, she opened her mouth and made a little puppy noise like she does when she's hungry. I offered the breast, and she started nursing like nothing had happened. The whole time she nursed, she kept her eyes rolled toward me so she could look at me, like she thought I was nuts. What is with babies, huh?

I will say this, though: I think some of her problem was gas. After the first incident she pooped, and after the second incident she let out an awful lot of air. An hour or so later my mom was holding her and she was passing a lot of gas again. So I think part of it might have been some belly pain, and part of it was just baby-ness.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

That is just hysterical! My husband uses the same shushing trick--it's worked since my little guy was a newborn.

Oh, man, she's at it again. It's going to be a loooong day.

What? How does she keep this up? That girl has energy!

Tell her it's Mothers' Day and there is no crying on Mothers' Day. (She's a baby, she doesn't have a calendar.)

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    What? How does she keep this up? That girl has energy!
    If she's trying to get me whipped, she's succeeded. I'm exhausted, and I give up. Waving the white flag. Now can the crying stop? Please?

Tell her it's Mothers' Day and there is no crying on Mothers' Day. (She's a baby, she doesn't have a calendar.)
    I'm pretty sure she's got a Blackberry and a satellite connection to the Mother Ship, where they plot evil ways to make mamas cry.

When Nora is sleepy she likes Lefty, when she's hungry she likes Pancho. I don't get it, but I've learned to accept it.

I think they should come with easy buttons, like on the Staples commercials.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous