Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk decrease @ 7 months?

Default Milk decrease @ 7 months?

Happliy BF for 7 months. I pump 3x day @ work (15-18oz per day) M-F. No weekend pumping. I do not have freezer supply. She has started solids 2 -3x day and ocassionly takes juice. Now for the question. Suddenly I am only able to pump 10-12oz a day and worried that she may run out of EBM while I'm away. Is it possible to introduce formula at this age with success or should I be trying to increase my supply? When is cow's milk ok? Should I increase juice and solids to make up the difference?

Default Re: Milk decrease @ 7 months?

I wouldn't worry to much at the amount of milk you're pumping, if your baby feel happy and content after his fed I'm pretty sure he's getting enough. If you still worry about your milk supply make sure you offer him the breast or the EBM before solids and I will suggest to cut on the juice and just stick to breast, save the juice for when you aren't available. Forget about the formula that will only decrease your supply, and cow's milk hold on until he at least one, the protein on cow's milk it's to hard for the baby digestive system to break. Hold on with the increase of solids until he's at least 9 months and I think is normal for your milk supply to decrease when you start solids. Keep up the good work.

Thank you for the advice however I don't think I made myself clear before. What I pump each day at work she drinks the next day while I'm away. I never pump at home and she normally only has 1/2 serving of solids (per day) when I'm around to nurse and this is done after nursing. I am afraid by not being able to pump as much that she will run out while I'm away. I don't want that to happen for fear that I'd never be able to catch back up.

O.K. I get it better know. I guess you can try to increase your supply. Let me get more concrete info and ideas on the subject before I post more advice. I'll be back later.

Well, I want to ask you what kind of pump you use? An electric double pump are best. Try pumping after a morning feeding, that's when your breast are fuller, I'm pretty sure you don't want to pump during the weekend but try doing so at least in the morning (so you can stock up on milk). Don't wait until your breasts feel full, this signal your body to slow down milk production, and make sure you're relax when you pump as negative emotions can block milk let-down. Nurse her as much as you can when you're with the baby and offer both breast at each feeding. Try not to use a paci, or offer the baby water & juice, let your milk be her only liquid. There is also some herbs that can help, I used them and I noticed the difference like 2 days later. They're call Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, there was a third one I used but I forgot the name, I'll try to remember later. Take like 3 capsules of each 3 times a days for a few days (I'll say 5). When I used the fenugreek my sweat and urine smell like maple syrup (something not even my husband noticed), and I heard some people might get diarrhea (in my case it made me more frequent which I liked), if that happen to you, cutting down or stopping the Fenugreek will fix the problem. If you have Asthma or Diabetes be cautious, other than that never heard any negative about the herb. Just throwing some tips which I hope they help. There's more ways to increase your supply but they're time consuming although temporary. Also if you're not already doing so and only if you desire, try sleeping with her, night feedings are a great help in boosting your milk supply and the more the baby eat during the night the less they do during the day (it will kind of ease the worry about running out of milk when you're away), plus night feeding are so easy when you co-sleep, just put her there and forget about it. And your baby diet is expanding now so if it does happen she run out of milk one day she won't go hungry until you get off work. And catching up is always possible. Hope this help.

I had a similar problem with the reduced milk supply. But I found that as my baby gets older (she's 9 months) and is eating more solids, she drinks less at daycare. I always sent four 4-5 oz bottles, but now she is only interested in getting 3 bottles a day. She gets milk and solids for breakfast at home, a 9:30 am bottle at daycare. Then I make sure she gets a big meal at lunch (12:30 pm)- 4-5 oz of milk then 1/4 c. multigrain cereal, 2 oz fruit and 2 oz. veggies. This tides her over until 3:30 when she gets another 4 oz. She has another feeding at 6pm-nursing with me and dinner. Then nursing again at bedtime. She seems pretty happy with this schedule. Look to your baby, if she seems content then everything is ok.

FYI--To deal with my decreased supply, I drink three cups of Mother's Milk tea (Traditional Medicinals). It really does help.

Also--try pumping early in the morning before baby wakes up. Your milk is at its most plentiful at this time. This will give you a few extra ounces when you need them during the week or could be used to build up a supply (you only need a couple of days worth).