Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 10 mins enough?

Default 10 mins enough?

Hi, my newborn daughter seems to spend sometimes only 10 mins at the breast. She will only do one breast most of the time. She does feed more often during the day.. every 1.5 to 2 hrs.. and 3 hrs at night. After her speedy session she seems satisfied but I am wondering is she is getting enough of the hindmilk. I try to get her to latch on again but when I do I always wonder, should I put her back on the 1st breast or on to 2nd?

My firstborn would spend a loooong time on the breast.. still getting used to this new baby!!

Thanks in advance, everyone always has so much to offer on this forums.. its a lifesaver..

Default Re: 10 mins enough?

I think as long as her diaper output is okay, 10 minutes is plenty long enough. Every newborn is different, so it may be that she can suck more effectively than your firstborn did. You can tell if she's not getting enough hindmilk if she's fussy at the breast, never really seems satisfied after a feed, and/or has green/watery explosive poos. hth!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Hi

If your baby is getting enough, they will have 6-8 wet diapers & 2-3 poopy diapers in a 24 hour period (note, it's more wets for cloth because sometimes disposables don't seem wet when they really are, and with cloth, it's undeniable ) That's how you can tell if they are getting enough in general.

Also, the poos should be mustard-yellow and seedy in appearance; This is how you can tell if they are getting enough hindmilk. HTH!

Thanks to both for your replies..she is having plenty of wet and dirty diapers.. and so far a lot of mustard yellow on our house! I think I should stop being worried and look at the positives.. she is fast and efficient and likes to sleep at night.. It just seems too good and I keep thinking something is off...

Thanks again!

Smile Re: 10 mins enough?

How old is she? My dd is 7 weeks old and I had the same concern a few weeks back and my dd was only eating 5-7 minutes at a time and only on one breast. I asked my pediatrician about it and she said as long as she was pooping and peeing enough, then it was fine. She said chances are my milk was flowing faster than other moms' and therefore my dd didn't need to be eating the 15-20 minutes they tell you.

My lo is a quick eater too. He eats for about 8-9 minutes most of the time and only on one breast. I talked with a LC and she suggested that I feed two times in a row on the same breast to be sure that he is geting the hindmilk, as long as my other breast doesn't hurt because it's too full. So, that's what we do. Although he did just eat on both sides for 9 minutes each...maybe he'll sleep longer, now. Only time will tell.

I have been lop sided for almost 6 months now...he he That is what I call it...He has never eaten both breast at a feeding, and most feedings are about 8 minutes long, but it makes sense that someone said that their milk flows faster becuase if he lets off I am watering the bed or whatever is around...hehe
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!