Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dream Feed . . . Opinions Please

Default Dream Feed . . . Opinions Please

My DD is 7 months old and loves to eat. She is going to sleep around 730 and then is waking around 1130-1230 to eat. I am considering getting her up at 10 when I go to bed and doing a dream feed to try to get her to sleep a little longer. What are people's experiences with the dream feed??? Is it a silly dream that she will sleep longer with the extra feed?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Dream Feed . . . Opinions Please

My nurse practitioner recommended it for us and said that it really works. But, I usually go to bed myself shortly after DD goes to sleep, so I never really got to try it.

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I tried it at 4 months. Nurse recommended it for us too- but didn't seem to help. He still got up at the same times. It made me realize he wasn't waking because he was hungry but because it was habit. I started to not feed him until a certain time of night (after 8 hours of sleeping- 2 am for us). After a couple of nights he stopped waking for the earlier feed. At 6 months he wakes (most nights) between 3 and 4 am. I sort of thought it was mean waking him to eat (because it woke my little guy up) and then sometimes he would have trouble going back to sleep. Just my experience. I know lots of people it worked for. Give it a try- it might work for you. Good luck!

It never worked for us. On the nights we woke him to eat, he woke even more often early in the morning. I think we messed with his natural rhythm and we paid for it, countless nights. LO is 3.5 mos now and still wakes around 11 every night after about 4 to 5 hours, then every 2-3 until 7am.

I also know a ton of people who wake their LOs to eat right before they go to sleep and it works miracles for them. My son however thinks anything scheduled is a great big joke so we live on his terms b/c we don't sleep unless he does Good luck!!

Works for us, but I do want to tell you that at 8 months William still wakes up every 3 or so hours to eat. He loves to nurse! So if I nurse him and lay down to sleep I am able to get a longer stretch. hth

Works pretty well for us. Mt 9 week old goes to bed between 8 & 9 (we try earlier, but so far he just will not drift off until then) and I will go in and feed him when he is mostly asleep when I go to bed sometime between 10:30 and 11:30. That's always his best nurse too. It's usually the only time that I can get him to take both sides. He usually won't wake up again to eat for another 4-4.5 hours.

I'd say just try it for a few nights and see what happens. Some babies do really well with this, and some will actually wake up more often because of it. I hope it works out well for you!

Works for us. I put her down at 8 with a feed & then top her off with a dream feed around 10:30 (heading off to do that now, actually!) and then I go to sleep. She doesn't wake to eat again until around 4 or 5. Without it she's up at midnight & again around 4/5.

I have to amend: the night before last I skipped the dream feed because it took so long to get him to go to sleep. He was up a half hour later than I would have fed him, and he was SCREAMING for food, and was up to eat every two hours afterwards. So last night I decided there was no way I would skip it. I went into his room at 11:30 (he had last eaten at 9:30) and tried to rouse him by changing his diaper. He actually slept through the diaper change, and was in so deep a sleep that he wouldn't even open his mouth when I rubbed it with my nipple. He would just purse it because it tickled, I guess. So I finally gave up and put him back in his crib. He didn't wake up to eat until 3:30! 9:30-3:30! (11:30 doesn't count since he never so much as opened his eyes). He's never slept 6 hours before.

So, I guess my point is that maybe the dream feed isn't really having anything to do with how long he is sleeping at night. It's all just random with him.

Again though - just try it and see if it works for you.