Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 year and going

Default 1 year and going

so my lo had her 1st birthday last month. . .and we are still nursing strong. There's no end in sight. . .and yes "everyone" has asked me when we are going to wean. My response, when she wants to!

I have changed some things, such as I don't offer nursing anymore, she more like "demands" it, and even then I offer her food and or water which she usually refuses and we end up nursing instead. LOL

For those who's little ones love to nurse to sleep. . .do you try to change that, or just keep with it until they wean themselves? I'm content to continue, but with my son it was hard to put him to sleep once we did start weaning. (I wanted to nurse him longer but got preggo and my milk dried up)

Thanks to all!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Default Re: 1 year and going

Hi eochoa,
    Congratulations on nursing throughout your little one's first year! Nursing to sleep is an approach that lasts differently for each nursing couple. Some babies give up nursing to sleep sooner. Others drift off while nursing well into their second year or beyond. If it's working for you now, it's OK to keep it that way. If nursing to sleep is one of their favorite times, sometimes that nursing session is that last to go as they decrease nursing during weaning. It really depends on the child, though. Some hang on to naptime nursing longer, others are attached to nursing upon waking up.
    The book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler is a great resource. She talks about nursing through each age and stage.
    HTH!
    Mary

Congrats on making it one year!!

My dd is turning 1 next month and i think I will let her ask and see how that works out.
    How many times does she "ask"?
    Last edited by Sherise; July 11th, 2007 at 03:43 PM.

Congrats!! I think that is the perfect response.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Congratulations on nursing a year and still going!!!!

Thanks everyone!

As far as "asking" still several times a day. . .the only time I "offer" is if she is unreasonably fussy or just suffered a "boo boo." As my other post stated, she's teething, and extra clingy/"needing" to nurse throughout the day. She loves to eat solids, we started table food at around 7-8 months, and she eats just about everything. . .but still prefers to nurse to eat?

My ds at this age was still nursing 6 times or more a day as well. He probably would have nursed past the age of 2, but I had supply issues when I got pregnant with my dd, and was dehydrating, etc. So I was "forced" to wean by my body and my ob. Ds had a difficult transition at first, but seemed to adjust much easier than I thought he would! LOL
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Thumbs up Re: 1 year and going

Hi eochoa,
    CONGRATULATIONS on nursing your baby for a year. My baby is 14 month old and loves to nurse and I love nursing her. We are still nursing strong today. I have never nursed this long before. My son Jaydon was a good nurse that is all he went to do was nurse. He would not eat table food in till he stop nursing. Then when he was 13 months old he just stops nursing by him self. I was not really for him to stop nursing. I say do it as long as you can. You should be proud of your self for nursing this long. :tumbsup Congratulations again

Congrats!

As far as nursing to sleep, my dd stoped her bedtime feed at about 15-16 months. She just wanted to feed once, right when she got up in the morning, for the rest of the time she nursed. I think they all just have their own little preference and if its not causing any big issues, just go with it! it will make life easier. Even though she is still asking often, you will likely see that change in a few months. GL!

Congratulations!
    My son had his first birthday recently and naptime and bedtime are the only times he nurses during the day (and he still nurses all night.) Since he kind of associated nursing and sleep I cannot stop one without causing troubles for the other so we keep like this for the time being but since your LO seems to have a good nursing habit (she asks for it which is something my son never does unless it is sleep time), I think you can play around with it and see how she responds until you find a way that works well for both of you.