Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting breast pump from WIC

Default Getting breast pump from WIC

I cannot remember where I read it on this forum, but someone said WIC will help get breastfeeding moms breast pumps. Yeahhhh!! I called there today to cancel and re-schedule my appt. with them, as I am on bed rest and am delivering 2nd DD tomorrow. So, anyway, they have one electric, double breast pump, and they have put my name on it to pick up when I go in on the 16th. I do not know the brand of the pump, but she said it is a top quality one with which I should have no problems. I just have to sign a contract to borrow it, and when I am finished with it, just return it--if I need it for longer, then they just do a new contract. Wow! I am so glad someone here mentioned that WIC can help, because money is tight, and I have no idea where my old one is right now. This is such a relief!

Default Re: Getting breast pump from WIC

Do you know if it is a hospital-grade pump in which the tubing (parts that touch the human milk) are replaceable and are they giving you a new set of tubing & horns?

Here is LLL's recommendation on choosing breast pumps: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pump.html

Quote Originally Posted by LLLErin
    Do you know if it is a hospital-grade pump in which the tubing (parts that touch the human milk) are replaceable and are they giving you a new set of tubing & horns?

Here is LLL's recommendation on choosing breast pumps: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/pump.html
    Tubing and horns? I am not sure what you mean by "horns". I do not know if it is a hospital grade pump, no. I will check out your link, too, and then call them back. Thanks!

Okay, just called WIC office.... Yes, it is a hospital grade pump. Yes, they give each client a bag of new attachments that include new tubing and horns. The pump itself has been sterilized, she said, too. I still don't know what "horns" are, though! LOL

This is all news to me! I had no idea that WIC offered this. Is it to ANYONE, or do you have to qualify? I really messed up with my pump. I have worn two out, and the last one I bought is ok, but it's not the best and sometimes I worry that it is not helping my supply. It's an Evenflo Elan (dual)...I think it was $160. Anybody know anything about this type?

Quote Originally Posted by Bella's Mom
    This is all news to me! I had no idea that WIC offered this. Is it to ANYONE, or do you have to qualify?
    WIC is a government funded program. Both WIC offices I have been to--one in SC and one in VA--have been in the local health department buildings. I do not know about other states. No one with WIC in SC where 1st DD was born mentioned being able to borrow a pump, so I do not know if all WIC offices offer this service or not. WIC is available for lower income families to help with purchasing nutritious food during pregnancy and after childbirth among other things. The income guidelines are a lot higher than you would think; meaning, you just have to provide your income information to them to see if you qualify and you do not have to be dirt poor. I have been enrolled in the WIC program here in VA pretty much since I became pregnant. I do not know if you have to have already been enrolled in the program to borrow a pump or not. I would suggest just starting with a call to your local health department to find out if they have the WIC program. (I do believe this program is offered in every state, though.)