Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: This is a non-BFing question, but please help me.

Default This is a non-BFing question, but please help me.

My son is finally getting to the point where he sleeps in five or six hour stretches at night. He's always had serious sleep issues in that he wakes up every two or three hours.

But after he gets up after that first long stretch, he won't stay back asleep. He's always waking up every hour or two after that.

Can anyone help me with this?

Default Re: This is a non-BFing question, but please help me.

are you breastfeeding? my son who is justa month on the 5 and he is the same way! I learned to just count my blessings that he sleeps for a stretch at all! the best thing for me is to just go to sleep as soon as he does and when he wake up he wakes up! he does the same thing with sleeping a while and then waking every two hours it really isn't what we pray for but they have to figure it out for them selfs! good luck

That sounds like a pretty typical sleep pattern - in my experience anyway. (Actually, sounds great to me since my LO is 12m and hasn't slept 5 hours since he was a couple weeks old, but thats another post. ) Do you co-sleep? I never intended to co-sleep, but it has saved my sanity. At least when DS wakes up every 45 minutes and wants to nurse constantly at night I get to stay tucked into my warm comfy bed and go right back to sleep after I shove the boob in his mouth.
    Good luck!
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

My LO is 10 1/2 months old and after 4 months she started waking up more and more often. We thought we were lucky to have a child who could sleep 6 -7 hours in row but after 4-5 she started waking more constantly. Now she wakes after 4 hours sleep (if we are lucky - otherwise we put her back to sleep), i nurse her in my bed, she gets asleep after 1 hour nursing (Thank God i can nurse while sleeping), and then she wakes up 2- 3 times until i nurse her again after 3 hours. It took me alot to minimise the night nursings and of course now i am sure she's not hungry cause she eats quite a lot solids and nurses 6-7 times the day.

I agree-sounds pretty normal to me as well. My son was doing that for a while (not any more!), but he would sleep 4-5 hours and after that was getting up every 1-2 hours. I think its pretty typical of babies, especially those babies that nurse at night. My son is back to getting up every 2-3 hours no matter what so I miss those 4-5 hour stretches!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

OK, well if that's normal, I will just wait for him to give me my cues on when he wants to sleep more.

And FluffyN, I can't get him to cosleep. He just doesn't sleep well that way. I wish he would!