Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tylenol PM?

Default Tylenol PM?

Can I take this while breastfeeding? As if I weren't sleep-deprived enough, I now suffer from the frustration of insomnia. I am completely exhausted and desperate. But I don't want to take anything that will hurt my baby boy. Please advise.

Default Re: Tylenol PM?

I would worry about Tylenol PM putting me into too deep a sleep to hear LO. I would encourage you to look into herbal remedies that help you fall asleep but don't hang out in your system to keep you under. Sorry I don't know any off the top of my head.

My DH takes melatonin when he needs to sleep.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...icles/258.html
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

If you are wanting to know if it is safe, I would call your md and ask for sure. My opinion is yes because the ingredient in Tylenol PM that causes you to sleep is benadryl (diphenhydramine hcl), which is safe for bfing. You may just want to try a low dose of benadryl itself 25mg and see if that helps any. It shouldn't knock you out too much, but I would start low just to make sure. I looked at they tylenol pm and it only has 25 mg benadryl per caplet and 500 of tylenol, which both are safe. http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...antihistamines
    Last edited by @llli*preggoplus3; July 9th, 2007 at 06:48 AM.