Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My brand new niece-questions

Default My brand new niece-questions

OK, you'd think I'd know the answer since I've bf'ed 3 kids :

So, my sister just had her baby yesterday via c/s. Baby is full term.

She isn't really latching. I tried helping her to nurse, but she'd open her mouth a little bit and then lick the nipple. But she wouldn't suck.

She nursed a little bit after she was born and then was sent to the nursery. I know that she was given glucose water.

Anything I can do to tell her to get the baby to latch? Any tricks?
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02
    Ronin and Ryker 10/9/2006

Default Re: My brand new niece-questions

What have you tried so far?

I tried tickling her cheek to get her to open her mouth, which did work, but she just wouldn't suck. Since she had the c/s, the football hold is the only hold she can do without being in so much pain..
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02

Newborns have a rooting reflex. If you tease them with the nipple by running it from their nose to their chin they should open wide. You might have to try it a few times. Skin to skin makes it easier too. Does the hospital have a LC that can help too?

Thanks, I will tell her that! No, unfortunately, there isn't one.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02

Prime the breast first, squeeze out a few drops of the good stuff before you even start. When you do get a latch gently press the palm of the baby. It is supposed to trigger sucking in a newborn. I also used vigorous massage when Will was newborn and not latching. It helped to rouse him sometimes. Babies can be really groggy from the drugs you get during c sections and epi's, and may delay latching.
    You also might want to try and shape the breast into the right form. When holding the breast grasp the right and left side of the breast to shape the whole nipple area into a more V shape.

OK, so I called her to see how she was doing and the baby did nurse a few times, but still is having trouble. I gave her the suggestions that you guys posted and she's going to try those.
    Celeste
    Mommy to:
    Kalynn 8/12/02

My SIL had success with modeling a wide open mouth and saying "Ohhh" or "Ahhh" to imitate what you want baby to do. This was suggested to her by a LC when her baby was not opening wide enough.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I think I read somewhere to put your finger in their mouth before nursing to get them sucking on your finger, then switch to the breast. Could be worth a shot!

From what i was taught in my breastfeeding class newborns are not that hungry, and if there is medication for the delivery that can affect how they take to the breast, b/c it can make them groggy.

I had my baby in January with no drugs b/c I wanted him to be as alert as possible. Unfortunately when he was born he had fluid in his lungs, and his first breath was so big that it made a small perforation in his lung. So I got to hold him for about 30 seconds and then they took him to the NICU to get him straightened out. I was deadset on breaastfeeding, and I made sure that they knew in there not to give him ANYTHING in a bottle, so all he had dextrose in his IV. He was born on a Saturday around noon and it was not until Sunday at 3 pm that he nursed for the very first time. In the meantime I pumped my colostrum (motivated and inspired by looking at pictures on my digital camera that my husband had taken in the NICU) and put it in syringes and we started giving that to him Sun. Morning. He wanted to suck, so my husband put his pinky in his mouth and we dribbled the colostrum in the sides of his mouth. Thankfully the NICU nurses were very supportive.

Make sure she starts pumping and saves every little drop of "liquid gold" she gets (they should be able to store it for her if need be). If they tell you the baby must eat, and they push for formula, stand firm. If the baby is really hungry, then insist on a supplemental nursing system. Keep fake nipples far away from the baby at this point. I am sure your sister is stressed - I was, so just reassure her that everything will be fine, as her little belly is the size of a marble

Best of luck to you and your family - congrats!