Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby at 1 year; want to stop pumping at work but not at home

Default Baby at 1 year; want to stop pumping at work but not at home

My dd is almost 1 year. I work part time (3 days/week, Tue., Wed., Thu. only). I am tired of pumping and it's getting soooo hard to get enough milk for her for daycare, so once the doctors says ok, I want to replace breastmilk with cows milk or soymilk for her bottles at daycare the days that I'm at work. (I'd continue to nurse her in the morning and evening/night.)

My question/concern is this:
    When she's with me (the other 4 days), I would prefer she breastfeeds in the day rather than have to prepare bottles for her. Can I coach my body to stop making breastmilk during the day on Tue., Wed., Thu., yet make it the other four days? Or am I going to be forever messing with the supply/demand balance? I have a history of mastitis and plugged ducts (I've had to take antibiotics on four separate occasions over the past 4 months!).

I would really appreciate any guidance on this issue. I am ready to stop pumping but we are so happy to be breastfeeding that I'm unsure of the implications of that shift.

Default Re: Baby at 1 year; want to stop pumping at work but not at home

I am in almost exactly the same situation, but I work 4 days a week. From browsing this forum, I have found moms saying that your body will adjust somewhat -- you may have to pump once a day just a little to relieve discomfort, but your milk will come back enough for the days you are home to nurse full time. I'm hoping this is true!

Your body may adjust, but it won't be overnight. In the meantime, you'll want to be sure to express (either by hand or pump) to comfort to prevent engorgement, which would lead to plugged ducts and mastitis.

Some mothers find that going to the cup for non-breast feedings can ease the transition and eliminate confusion or bottle preference.

With my first baby I used to work for over 12 hrs a day and it was hard to pump for me do to my job, I did hate pumping anyway (mostly because of my coworkers ignorants comments, well I was a Marine and the only female on my shop, so that didn't help), so eventually I stop and just BF when I was at home and during the weekends and it worked fine. I eventually stop BF too, but only because I started working with Hazmat. So go ahead, but take it slow since you've a history of plugged ducts you don't want to do something drastic. Congratulations on going through with the first year!!

I stopped pumping about the same time (when DS was a year) and I also did it gradually. However on weekends we nurse a bit more than during the week and it's not a problem (although sometimes on Monday I feel my milk letting down at lunchtime - but when I self-hug it goes away)

I second the reccomendation of giving him cow's milk in a cup instead of a bottle. This is a good age to stop the bottle because the independent two's are right around the corner and stopping habbits are a lot harder then.

Sabrina
    Mom to Alex: 12/08/04 and still happily nursing

I'm glad to hear that it can be done. For the last two weeks, I have been pumping once a day and ds has been fine on what little milk I get from that session. He is drinking water and cow's milk with no trouble and the sitter thinks he would do fine without ebm during the day. This delights me to no end, because I am dying to be done with the pump. So, I am going to try and get off the pump in the next week or so. The only hitch is the weekends. In addition to morning and night (which we're not giving up anytime soon), ds still wants to nurse once or twice during the day, too. Anyone else have advice about how to stop pumping, but continue some daytime nursing on weekends?

I also stopped daytime nursing around one year (I never had to pump . . . was close enough to the daycare to just run over, lucky me). Now 16 mo., my daughter continues to nurse morning, evening, at least once at night and also during the day on weekends (usually 1 or 2 times). I was worried about the weekend nursing at first, thought I would probably explode on Mondays, but despite the increased nursing on weekends everything has worked out fine . . . sometimes I get a little full on Monday by the end of the work day, but nothing worse. Maybe it would turn out not to be a problem for you either?