Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing pads cloth vs spoises?

Default Nursing pads cloth vs spoises?

Okay I have another question. I know I know surprise ^_~.

I was shopping at BabyDepot yesterday and noticed a few brands of cloth nursing pads. I want to know if cloth is better or worse than spoises? Also, how long do you wear nursing pads i.e. a few days, weeks, months?

Thanks,

Default Re: Nursing pads cloth vs spoises?

The most important thing with any of the pads is to be certain you're not keeping your breast up against a wet pad. A warm, moist environment is a prime place for growing bacteria and causing infections!

That being said, I find the sposies are usually more dangerous in that regard, because they usually have a plasticky back that holds the moisture in. Everyone's different, though, and has different preferences, so either is really fine as long as you're careful to change them when needed.

I personally prefer reuseable cloth pads because the sposies make me itch. Also, I like that I can use them over and over (they're not hard to wash), thus saving money and not causing excess waste. I really like the Gerber brand. They're small and discreet and don't leak. I'm not a fan of Medela. They're bulkier and I've leaked through them before. I'm also interested in trying some of the ones available on the CD sites, the hemp and such. I've heard good things.

If you're looking at sposies, I can tell you I'm not a fan of Medela. I've heard good things about Lansinoh and Johnson's.

As for the leaking, everyone is different (of course!). Some people have told me they stopped leaking around 3 or 4 months, once their supplies got regulated. Some have taken much longer, and some never did stop leaking. Some people stop leaking enough that they can go without pads and just use a cloth diaper while nursing or put pressure on the nipple if they feel a letdown while out in public. I'm at 10 weeks and still leaking, but definitely not as much as I used to. I guess it's a wait-and-see sort of thing!

HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I have cloth. I got mine from Motherhood Maternity. They are thick layers of flannel. They shrunk a lot when you wash them. Their use depends on you. I still wear them everyday and choose to 'risk' waking up with a wet t-shirt at night so that I can go braless. The first few weeks I would change my breast pads about 5-6 times a day to prevent my shirt from getting wet. Now, most days, I wear the same pads all day. I had a lot of milk and I have a very overactive let down so when my milk lets down it sprays the baby and the breast that is not being used sprays my nursing pad. When I go braless at night I have to stick a diaper over the other side to stay dry. DD has had thrush twice and I have had it once so it is important to me that my breasts stay as dry as possible.

My SIL is a surgeon and she used stick on disposable silicone nursing pads when she had to be in surgery because she said they never leaked. I am not sure what brand those are.

i would def. go w/ cloth! i only needed to use them for a couple of months. now i only leak sometimes in the am, if ds didnt nurse much at night.....but nobody cares, cause i'm just in my pj's at home! i agree w/ haley's mom about everything sge said also.
    Casey, mother to a cuckoo boy
    Guillaume~ a birthday present for his mommy 11~9~06
    still breastfeeding, co-sleeping and cloth diapering

Me and my pedi love Lanisoh...I still have to wear them after 5 1/2 months...

I hated the cloth...it was like rough or something...
    Mommy to Chance Lane 1/18/07
    I love my miracle baby so much! Be the best that you can be to your angels no matter how selfless you have to be!

I use disposables and am happy with them (but haven't tried cloth, so can't compare). I use Curity; I tried another brand (don't remember the brand) but didn't like them. My sister-in-law uses Curity too. They're cheap, and for me they work very well, but I only change them a couple of times a day (when I pump at work). I leak very little now.

The cloth ones I tried were too noticable but that could have just been that brand. I've been using the Lansinoh brand for the last 4.5 five months. I like them better then Gerber. I still can leak through depending on DS' mood. I say it's better to err on the side of dryness and change them often. I give them the "squish test" if they are puffy when folded and feel squishy at all they've got to go.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

11girl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I started out with cloth. I got some free 'sposies and tried them a couple times- er, once, I think... I had the same reaction to them as I did disposable diapers - 'no way!'
    I don't really like the cloth ones I have, but
    at 6 months I only use them occasionally.

I saw a mama with some wool ones once, and she seemed to like them a lot. If you find some as soft as some of the wool I've felt, I bet I would love them too!

Anyone tried silk ones? I've seen some that were organic cotton on one side and raw silk on the other...

I have Kooshies cloth pads that I wear, but only at home because they are very obvious. I prefer to wear cloth pads because it cuts down on the amount of waste and they are more economical, but when I go out I use Lansinoh disposable pads, they are more discreet and I really like them.

I only just stopped using nursing pads in the past couple of days and my DD is 10 months old. I used disposable mostly, but that is ONLY because I had OALD and the cloth would leak (I'm talking soaked shirt) every time I had a letdown because so much milk was released. I think that is a rare and special circumstance. Otherwise, I would use cloth. They are comfy, breathable, and I found that the lace they usually put on the back grips my bra better than the sticky spots on sposies did.