Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye contact w/ newborn while bf'ing

Default Eye contact w/ newborn while bf'ing

When do babies start making eye contact while they are nursing?

My youngest is 2 weeks old today and only glances at my face briefly while nursing. She will study my arm for the majority of the time, sometimes examining my hand or the couch. But she doesn't spend much time looking at my face or my eyes. My older children are 13, 10 and 7 so I can't remember exactly when they started doing this.

She does look at my face & eyes while I'm just holding her though.

Am I freaking out for nothing?

Thanks!
    Jessica
    Last edited by jessica_anne; July 8th, 2007 at 05:36 PM.

Default Re: Eye contact w/ newborn while bf'ing

Gosh, my DD is 7 mo. and she still doesn't look me in the eye while nursing. 'Course, nursing for us is a full-contact sport! She's too busy to be bothered with mom!

I think it was about 4 months for us, but it's not all that frequent even now at 6.5 mos.

Ok, I'm feeling better now. I just remember my 3rd and I spending a lot of time making eyes at each other. Could be she was older, could be foggy memory. :-)

Thanks for such quick responses!

Jessica

Hi!
    When you nurse are you watching tv? I used to do that when William was tiny and I would complain to a friend of mine, who said, " Well, you're busy looking away all the time, what message does that send?" When I stopped the tv Will started making more eye contact.
    I would chase his eyes around with mine until I could hold them.

I made an assumption that you are worried about some of the signs of Autism? If so, you are worrying wayyyyyyy too early at 2 weeks.

I considered that - what I'm doing while she's nursing - and I have stopped looking away from her until she falls asleep/closes her eyes. :-) And I have been chasing her eyes with mine until she looks at me. Actually, the other thing that was worrying me was that she doesn't look at me when I talk to her while she's nursing either. She will look at her daddy and I when we are holding her though, she just doesn't want to be bothered while she's nursing apparently.

I'm not concerned about Autism at all, more with her hearing and her psychological well-being. :-)

Thanks for your post!
    Jessica (who finally got her signature set up)

My daughter will be 6 months old on the 10th and she doesn't make much eye contact with me. She mainly stares at my boob, like she is afraid I will take it away before she is done. Sometimes she will gaze up at me and when I catch her she looks away really fast. I wish she'd stop looking away all the time.

My son is 3 months old and has only recently started making eye contact when he nurses.

My littlest one is nearly two months, sometimes she makes eye contact, sometimes she doesn't. But only recently (within the last couple of weeks) did she start making any eye contact at all.

Haley is usually too busy studying the quilt behind my shoulder or has her eyes closed in contentment. BUT. She does make eye contact in one particular situation. She will stop nursing, although she stays latched on, roll her eyes up to look me directly in the eye, and then ... she poops. She just lets it rip, loudly! When she's finished, she continues to look me right in the eye but resumes the nursing. I feel like she's watching to see if I'm impressed with her mad diaper skillz.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?