Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: more sore nipples

Default more sore nipples

My ds was born a week ago. While in the hospital I had a breast pump that resulted in some very bloody, cracked nipples. I'm still having problems with them, but lanolin seems to be helping. I'm wondering if that can cause me alot of pain when he latches. I'm also having some pain from his lower jaw while he nurses. I would appreciate any advise or suggestions. I'm a new mom and we're just trying to figure this thing out.

Default Re: more sore nipples

You may be sore for a while until you heal and you get used to nursing. The lanolin should definitely help. Also, you could try rubbing in some of your breast milk. That may help speed the healing process (lots of good stuff in BM!) I would recommend you get in touch with your local LLL leader to get your latch looked at. The sooner it gets corrected (if it needs it) the better off you'll be! Hang in there! It gets better!

Smile Re: more sore nipples

Have you addressed your issues with the pump? It shouldn't be hurting you. Just want to make sure you have gotten some resolution to that.

Your nipples may take a while to heal. Even though there is lots of blood flow to that area, you are constantly using them for nursing, so things can take time to settle down. Definitely pat some BM onto them and let them air dry.

If you are having continued discomfort throughout a feeding such as feeling abrasion with the lower jaw, I would suspect a latch problem. Baby might not be opening wide enough to take in the right amount of areola. If possible, please have someone help you get the latch perfect so you can get more comfortable asap.

Good luck!

Default Re: more sore nipples

The breast pump belonged to the hospital. It wouldn't surprise me if the nurse that gave it knew it was for a woman with bigger nipples. (I had more then one problem with her.)

I do seem to have some healing from the past couple days, but I got a bad latch tonight and reinjured one of them. Is it normal for it to really hurt when he first latches on? Usually after that I do ok besides his lower jaw.

There is a local meeting on Tuesday, but I'm not allowed to drive until next week. I'm going to try to make it. I really don't want this to be something that I dread.