Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I am not sure we'll make it....

Default I am not sure we'll make it....

My DD is almost 10 month old. She has been exclusively BF. She goes to day care with bottles of EBM. In the past few months, and even more in the past few weeks, she has been showing less and less interest to BF. Last week, she had an ear infection, and was down to only BF for a minute at a time. She also was not taking much EBM....

So I wanted to go until one year, but I am not sure she is taking enough BF. I am now in vacation for 3 weeks, and will try and try and try. I will be pretty upset if I have to pump during these three weeks to feed her... but I want her to get BM, one way or the other.... She does great on solids, even if that went down also in the past fews days because of the ear infection (and antibiotic).

... I am not sure if I have any question.... I am just bumped that our BFing relationship might be close to end....

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: I am not sure we'll make it....

I was really sad when it ended with my first- but we only made it 6 months. Were you thinking of weaning at a year? If so the fact that things are slowing down might be good- you only have 2 months left. Maybe your bf relationship isn't comming to an end- just changing. My sister in law bf her daugher for 2 years- but the second year it was mainly once a day (I think first thing in the morning) I'll think positive thoughts for you! I'm sure you know that when they are sick everything is topsy turvy, and when they get better so do a lot of other aspects of thier lives. Good luck!

Thanks Ericmom... yes I was hoping to wean at one year, at least the pumping part. I was hoping I could continue BF in the morning and evening, but her interest is going down fast... I guess the next three weeks will tell us...

.... but I guess this is where I get confused.... if my lo doesn't BF much, is that ok for her to get little milk? Is water ok at 10 month old to replace the milk as liquid?.... or maybe I should pump and give her EBM.....

Dr. Sears talks about babies going on a "nursing strike". That may be what your LO is going through. Basically, he says to try and nurse as much as possible (do skin to skin, etc) to get the baby through it.

I'm sure his website has more info on it. I'm attempting to add the link: http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/bf6.asp
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user

Thanks for the link to the web site... that's encouraging to read. I guess ear infection is right there, as one of the cause that could start a BFing strike. I'll try and try and try....

We do a lot of one minute here, another minute there, with some longer sessions at night and first thing in the morning. She must take in enough milk during those little nips and sips because she's gaining and has enough wet diapers.

If I don't think she's getting enough, I offer more.

Hugs. It seems like, when they're newborns and all they do is nurse, you just want a break. And then they get old and nurse for minutes instead of hours and all you do is worry that they don't eat enough.

Thank you for all your advices and words of wisdom.... just what I needed !