Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Blood in Poop

Red face Blood in Poop

Hi everyone-
    My LO just had a very small amount of bright red material (I'm assuming blood) in her last poop. I think she poops a lot for a baby who is EBF and almost 10 weeks old. She's already had 3 poops this morning. They have all been mustard yellow & somewhat runny, which worries me a little, but the red stuff has me worried a lot. One of this morning's poops was I guess what could be called explosive, it was loud and dripped out of her diaper and all over DH (YUCK!!, but I'm glad it wasn't me).

She had been on Reglan for reflux from birth until this past Wendesday, when we eliminated it. Other than the red stuff today, she's done fine (minimal number of spit ups). Could the elimination of the Reglan have anything to with it? Has anyone else seen anything like this? Do I need to call my doctor? Sorry for all the frantic questions, but I'm a FTM and still pretty clueless.

TIA for any advice.

Betsy
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Blood in Poop

It is never a bad idea to call her doctor. Take a look at her bottom...right at her anus and see if there is some broken down areas. If so, it is caused by the explosive poops stretching their way out so quickly, there should not be an excessive amount of blood but some streakiness in her poops, no cause for alarm. If you do not see any areas of breakdown on her anus or bottom, I would call my doctor just to check. Is she acting normal? eating fine? no fever? her belly, is it nice and soft? These are the things your doc will ask you. Hope this is reassuring.

twice my ds (5 1/2 mo old) has had a few little specks of blood in his poopy diapers. they have never gotten worse and have cleared up on their own.

It is frightening to see, but a normal thing for it to happen every once in a while (according to Dr. Sears)...kind of like a little bit of bloody mucous in her nose.

Because she was on medication I would check with her ped, just to be safe. If she is acting like herself and seems to be comfy then she is probably fine. But you can never be too sure, peace of mind will make everyone happy

As fas as pooping a lot, do you notice that she has more during certain times of the day? She most likely will settle into a pattern where you will come to expect them.

Best of luck!

Ask your PED about a milk protein allergy. My little guy had the same thing and that is what it ended up being. He was also very gassy and fussy. Your PED does a simple test of his poop to determine if that is what it is. I have had to eliminate all dairy and soy products from my diet, not an easy task, but well worth it!

HTH
    Beth

Mine had a little blood in his poop when he was 3 weeks old, and it also turned out to be a milk protein allergy. Save the next poopy diaper with blood in it in a zip lock bag and put it in the refrigerator. The pediatrician will probably want to see it - they can do an analysis on it to make sure it isn't something really horrible. In all likely hood though, it's a protein intolerance (which most babies grow out of) or a food allergy of some sort. Oh yeah, and a certain percentage of babies who have a milk protein intolerance also have an intolerance for soy protein, so don't just replace your dairy products with soy products until you know for sure.

Definitely set up an appointment with the pediatrician though, so they can determine the true cause.

Thanks everyone for your advice and reassurance. So far we have had no more blood incidents. My Ped. recommended that I just keep a close watch for now. He suspects it was anal bleeding (which sounds awful, but apparently no big deal) related to her explosive poops. I'm also thinking of starting a food diary, but I'm not sure I want to see how much I really eat recorded in black and white ! Oh well, it might be good for both of us. I might actually loose those last 10 pounds and I also might discover something that will help LO.

Thanks again!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.