Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: arg...more frustration

Default Re: arg...more frustration

and one oz at a time is great for a baby that age.. heres a link about thier tummies....
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/colostrum.html

Quote Originally Posted by ice_queen View Post
    rebecca, She has had 3 wets to far today...and has so far been given 4 ounces of EBM today in addition to VERY minimal nursing. Those 4 ounces are more than she has had other days...but she is still sleepy a lot. Would you give her a bottle today or wait and see if we get enough wets today?
    I would not wait, because of yesterday's zero output. But I am not there and I am not you and I have not seen your baby and I am not a medical professional. I am trained to offer information and support for breastfeeding. I truthfully cannot tell you what to do when, because it isn't my place. As the mother, you are the expert on your baby and your life, and so you get to make the decisions, including whether and when to offer a bottle to your sleepy newborn who isn't getting enough milk to make wet diapers every day.

I just don't know what to do. The nurse/LC didn't seem so worried (and also said that at this point we just need to see "some" wets and dirties, but that the numbers differ per child
    That information is different from the information that I am trained to share with mothers. I don't know what else to say about that, except that I know it is terribly confusing and distressing to be a worried new mother who is receiving different information from everyone she has contact with.

, she checked her over and said there were no signs of dehydration) but I am and I know that I am the mom and my gut must mean something...but I REALLY worry that this will be the end of our nursing relationship...
    Your gut means a LOT. I repeat -- you are the expert on your baby. Even if you feel like you have no idea what you are doing! You get to make this decision.

I understand your concern about introducing more problems along with a bottle. We see posts regularly from mothers of nipple-confused babies. It is hard to work through and better avoided if possible.

On the other hand, we also see regular posts from mothers who have overcome many, many challenges with their nurslings. If your gut tells you that your baby needs more food and that a bottle will get more into her more easily and faster than the SNS, then try to believe that any problems that arise from that measure will have breastfeeding solutions. Those bridges can be crossed if and when you get to them.

Of course, I cannot guarantee that if you give a bottle today, your daughter will still nurse successfully later on. But I can almost guarantee that if she continues to be underfed, you'll be dealing with bigger problems than nipple confusion.

called another local LC after posting. She is going to come down tomorrow afternoon...right after my pedi appointment.

But since posting...we now have a total today of 3 wets and 2 dirties...and she has been awake and alert and nursing on and off since posting.

The LC suggested that rather than use a bottle, that we try using the SNS but using a finger rather than my nipple when she gets worn out..this way she is getting the EBM faster and more of it, but it is less likely to cause nipple confusion. She took 2 ounces that way this afternoon, which is what she said the baby should be having every three hours. YAY...I'm going to do it this way until tomorrow to get her checked again at the doc.

Great that you found a way to get milk into baby! Congratulations! It sounds like the new LC is more sensitive to your concerns. Is she credentialed? Ibclc?

she is an IBCLC...I'm really looking forward to her advice.

OOHHH....and I tried the nipple shield again tonight, and guess what??? She latched right on and nursed for 10 minutes on each side...perfectly content and happy. Now she's sleeping soundly. Can you even believe it? Now we just have to worry about not getting addicted to the shield...but MAN if that is the answer...I will be so relieved!!!

AND we have had 4 wets and 3 poopy diapers so far now!!

update:
    4 wet and 4 poopy diapers yesterday...the nipple shield is working wonders! She is latching right on and nursing for longer and longer periods of time. Let us hope that this is the beginning of a great new turn in the road!!!

This is great news, ice_queen. It sounds like your daughter is getting stronger as she gets more milk -- WTG baby girl!

Are you still pumping? Are you still offering your EBM after nursing, using the finger-feeding SNS?

Don't worry for now about weaning off the nipple shield. We'll help you cross that bridge when the time comes.

I am indeed still offering the finger feeding, do you think I should be?

off the the pedi. to see if she has gained this weekend. I'm SO nervous...odd to be so scared, isn't it?

Being nervous is a sign of how much you care. You're doing great. I completely second the suggestion to keep finger feeding. As bb gets more calories and packs on more weight she will have more energy to do some serious suckling. Keeping the fluids in bb gives her the fuel to munch up and down on the breast!

back from the pedi...

baby girl gained 4 ounces!!! She passed with flying colors. The nurse was hoping she would gain 2-3 ounces, so right on!

I fed her while I was there, and after feeding on one side, she was up .5 ounces more...so the nurse said that if she is nursing that long on each side 10-12 times a day (which she is), then she is getting plenty now!

She said that if she is getting 3 wet/poopy diapers we are fine given her weight gain and overall health! We go in again on Friday for her two week check up!

the nurse also said we could stop supplementing and pumping, but I'm not going to. We are going to offer the supplement at least during the day for a while...I'm not comfortable cutting it out yet

I tried to get her latched on without the shield this afternoon, and she latched on an sucked for about 30 seconds. success over yesterday at any rate!

All the nurses were so proud of her! They kept saying "she's gonna be one fat baby!"

I'm so relieved...