Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: so close to giving formula (long, sorry)

Default so close to giving formula (long, sorry)

DS will be 6 wks on Tuesday but up to know he still constantly nurse during his waking hours. like today, i fed him starting at 8:30 am for about 40 minutes. he would eventually sleep but the moment he wakes up (i have a very playful toddler) he would want to nurse again. i would try to deviate his attention -play with him, try to put him back to sleep - but he would only want to nurse! So i nurse him again (after about 10 - 20 min of playing. breaktime for me). it's a freaking cycle until he goes back to sleep. its 11:30 now and i am still nursing. it's like nurse for 40 minutes, sleep for 10, play for 10 then nurse again! i don't have time to pump (unless it's wee hours in the morning, but that means giving up my sleeptime - we are on schedule at night, evert 2 -3hrs).

i'm so close to giving him formula so that i would have a break from nursing. nursing all the time keeps me from playing with and tending to the needs of my toddler. I feel so guilty not playing with him. I try not to get upset with him when he plays loudly around his brother, afterall he just wants to play and i don't think its intentional.

now i'm starting to feel bad abouta lot of things. i feel guilty for feeling "not wantung to nurse". it's like not taking care of DS2. i feel bad about not spending time with DS1. i feel bad about not being able to do productive things because i'm always nursing. i feel bad for considering to give a formula, makes me feel like i'm selfish.

thanks for letting me vent.

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

Default Re: so close to giving formula (long, sorry)

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. Nursing and caring for a new little one can be so exhausting! Have you tried wearing your LO in a sling? He might enjoy the opportunity to be close to you and feel you move and that would free you up to do a little more with your toddler. I know it's hard to keep in mind right now, but this stage won't last forever. In the long run, formula (and the digestive problems and additional illnesses the come with a less protected LO) will take more time. Maybe you could find a high school girl who could do some mother's helper work a few hours a week and play with your toddler. Hang in there!

Sounds like a 6week growth spurt. Get a sling or wrap. That way you can nurse your baby while on the go. it will allow you to move around while still meeting your infants needs. Also try to bring the toddlers toys and books into the room and have them close to you. That what you can read to him and play catch with him and things like that while nursing. The baby is just doing what is instinctive. When growth spurts hit, they instinctively know they have to nurse CONSTANTLY to get your milk supply up to continue to meet their needs. I don't think the baby will care what else you are doing as long as he is allowed to continue to nurse. You may find that by wearing him you'll actually get him to sleep a little more. Another "game" you can play with your toddler is the "can you get me this or that game" They love to help and that game can keep them busy for long periods of time with out you ever having to get up.The 1st weeks of nursing are exhausting. No doubt about it. But you won't be sorry you stuck with it. Besides not putting your child at risk for so many health issues and saving money, in the long run you are saving yourself time. I know it doesn't feel that way now but how much time would it take to make all these bottles? Or clean them? Especially if you wanted to leave the house.

Remember, supplementing is a very very slippery slope. Especially during this very crucial time when your supply is being established. Right now your baby is sending the signals nonstop to produce more milk. And your body is getting them and responding and catching up to the ever growing needs of your baby.
    Even one bottle is detrimental to the whole balance. Because you body doesn't get the 1st signal to make milk because you don't bring the baby to your breast and since formula is harder for them to digest and takes much longer for them to absorb, instead of sending the next signal to your body in 1&1/2 to 3hours, your baby isn't hungry again for 3-4 hours. So right when you really need to produce MORE to keep up with demand, your body instead gets the signal that your baby is now eating less often. Re think formula. Especially this early on. Just keep taking baby steps. Another week, then two. You can do this. You made this decision because it was the best one for your baby. I'm sure that you are exhausted. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Way too lazy for formula

Ditto Shelly! I know how tired you must feel, I mean that's the real issue right? So if you try getting a Moby wrap, and your baby is all snuggled and secure, you will have your hands free to do what you like. Maybe some time to brush your teeth, wash your face, play some quiet games with toddler ect. Its amazing how nice it is to be able to get up and move around when your used to having to sit sit sit!

thanks ladies.

i do have a moby wrap. i use it sometimes but i just can't figure out how to nurse in it. is his head supposed to be sticking out? been practicing on it for a couple of days now.

i was just so tired. i guess the lackof sleep isfinally getting to me. i do know things are going to get better, i just hope they wouldcome sooner :-)

breastfeeding is really a commitment. a commitment to yourself and your child. just like any other relationship, it has its ups and downs. i guessi should focus more on the positive to help brighten up my spirits.

thanks again!

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

oops, i have a maya wrap not moby. sorry :-)

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Cecelia, there is an entire board devoted to baby wearing. If you have a question about how to nurse in yours, why not post down there? We have some professional wrappers and slinger her for sure! I'm sure you'd get some help! Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by cecilia View Post
    breastfeeding is really a commitment. a commitment to yourself and your child. just like any other relationship, it has its ups and downs. i guessi should focus more on the positive to help brighten up my spirits.

thanks again!
    Wish more mamas understood this!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...