Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 20 day old bf baby not pooping

Default 20 day old bf baby not pooping

My baby is not pooping anymore. She pooped right after birth and the first two days or so but no more after that.

She is gassy and seems to be fine otherwise- she's alert at times throughout the day, she nurses very often and looks fine.

Her birth weight was 8lbs 5 oz 21 inches. She went down to 7lbs 4 oz at 6 days old and as of Tuesday (July 3rd) she was 7 lbs 13 oz.

Her dr. told me to give her a glycerin suppository and I did and she pooped but not again on her own. I gave her another suppository on Saturday June 30th and she pooped but again has not pooped again on her own since then.

I'm starting to only nurse her on one breast in order to ensure she gets the hindmilk but I'm not sure if I should be concerned.

I forgot to add that we did have problems with nursing at first. My nipple was cracked and we stopped nursing on that breast for 2 days so it could heal and I was only able to express a little milk so my husband gave her a little formula as she didn't seem satisfied with the little I expressed and the other breast. We went to a lactation consultant and have been bf-ing exclusively since.

Thanks in advance for advice.

Patrice

Default Re: 20 day old bf baby not pooping

Welcome! I have never had this with DD, but I have read of some babies going 7 days or more without a BM and be fine. As long as your lo doesn't seem to be in pain, I think you should be ok. How long has it been?

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

My lo did that right after birth also. Most of the time it takes several months for a lo to start going longer in between poos, but my lo started out doing this. She would go every 3-7 days. I would wait until the 7th day to give a suppository, or if she was really uncomfortable. I was worried that she wouldn't start going on her own all the time, but she did. Just keep on nursing and I would wait atleast 7 days in between suppositories unless your lo is really uncomfortable. It does get better. Eventually, my lo started going every 3-4 days. There are several good links related to this at www.kellymom.com Just type poop in the search box.

Thank you so much. On one hand I don't think I should be worried but then again, I've not dealt with this with either of my first two girls. It'll be a week on tomorrow since she had a bm but she seems fine. I'll look into the site you mentioned (Katie). Thanks!

Patrice

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...-concerns.html Here is that site, sorry I didn't have time to look earlier. It has a lot of good links. The one called The color of the day by Dr Jay Gordon is really good.

Yay! She did a big mushy poop this morning!

:tumbsup

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06