Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning... ouch!

Default weaning... ouch!

I am in teh process of weaning my baby. For anyone who has weaned, do you have suggestions to deal with the engorgement and to prevent infection? We are taking it slowly. So far we have dropped two feedings and my nightly pumping before bed. Would it be wise to start taking the mini pill? I started taking a couple of months ago and it decreased my milk so I stopped. Now that I am ready to wean, I wonder if this might help with engorgement. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: weaning... ouch!

How old is you baby and how much is she nursing every day?

My LO is 6months and eats about 6-7 times a day. We are also getting ready to start solids. He has no trouble taking a bottle of EBM or formula. I am just concerned with engorgement and getting an infection. Last night I hand expressed just relieve the pressure and that seemed to help .

Did you have an absolute deadline you need to meet or is there some flexibility here?
    It really sounds like your body might be telling you that you are going too fast... Not sure. You said you were going slowly, but apparently your breasts haven't caught up to the dropped feedings yet.
    I think the hand expression or pumping off the top is a good idea. The more you totally drain the breast, the more milk you will make. It is totally true that if your breasts are engorged and they sit there full of milk that you will be an unwilling candidate for mastitus. That will be bad.
    I have read that placing cabbage leaves directly on your breasts will reduce milk production. Generally speaking the less stimulation you have the less you will produce.
    May I ask you just one small question? Is there some difficulty or problem that has arisen with breastfeeding that has made you desire to terminate the relationship at 6 mo? We would like to be here to encourage and support you.

no there is no problem. It's just a personal choice. The hand expressing has been helping. I did not wake up feeling as engorged. I may try the cabbage leaves to help. I am in no rush to wean ... I am just beginning the process as slow as I can. Thanks for the help!

My only suggestion would be to continue to take it slow. Don't drop more than one feeding per week. That usually gives your body enough time to adjust to the drop in feedings.