Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Taming Over-Active Letdown

Default Taming Over-Active Letdown

I have over-active let-down really bad. I have tried to help reduce the flow various ways, including the scissor hold, leaning way back, side nursing, letting the milk flow into a washcloth, and even pumping before nursing. I've also tried block feeding (feeding from one side only for so many feeds, and then switching). Nothing seems to work. It seems like as soon as flow has gone down to something my baby can handle, a few more sucks and its spraying again. Or else it goes down too much and my baby gets frustrated because he now can't get the milk out fast enough. My baby just recently decided to go on a nursing strike because of it. Almost every feeding is a battle now.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on what I can try?

Default Re: Taming Over-Active Letdown

Hi there! What I understand about a strong let down reflex is that eventually your baby will get larger and have a less problems with it. Its a matter of allowing your child to find a way to deal with it, and to have patience and understanding with your body. You really can't control it, and from what i have read people deal with the symptoms and never the cause. It is unfortunate that you and baby are feeling discouraged. Is there any way you can both try and relax before you nurse? A warm bath, some soothing music. stressing out over it may only may you feel like you have failed, while the truth is that you are doing a great job! Hang in there, it will get better mama.

Thanks for the advice. For some reason though, he has been just fine for the last two days. No more nursing strike! Yay! I still spray sometimes, but it seems to bother him less now. I just stop him and burp him and put him back on. Maybe he's just now figuring out how to deal with it.

probably Glad to see it ironed itself out.

We had a really rough couple of days dealing with my OALD, and then suddenly Haley just got used to it and went back to nursing with no fuss. I think pp is right that you can do your best to work with the symptoms, and other than that you just wait until your LO matures a bit and can handle it. Glad it's going better!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Smile Re: Taming Over-Active Letdown

I Have The Same Problem My Let Down Is Very Fast And It Does Spray Everywhere. My Lo And I Had Trouble Breastfeeding For The First 5wks. She Would Get So Frustrated And Wouldn't Nurse. I Wound Up Pumping And Bottle Feeding. I Was So Tired From Pumping And Feeding Her (double The Work) That I Nearly Thought About Not Breastfeeding. Then My Lo Got Older And Bigger And Finally Just Learned How To Handle It. I Still Stop Her Because It Is A Little To Much. Usually I Just Let It Spray Into The Burp Cloth And Put Pressure To Slow It Down Then Nurse Again. So Anyone Reading This I Strongly Urge You To Hang In There If You Have The Same Problem Because It Only Gets Better. Now I Love Breastfeeding.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We also had problems those first few months with OALD. I remember we were both in tears during those feedings, and I hated only being able to feed her at home (b/c of nursing uphill)! But, it's so true that it does get better.

I can't say that the OALD is gone. I still spray. But my LO (5 months) can now handle it better and no more fussing. Your LO will learn to come off if it's too much, and later will learn to handle it better and just stay latched on.

Hang in there!